Strange problem in a 1756-L71

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

So I added a routine in a L71, and as is my nature, I selected all of the rungs and pasted them into Notepad++ and then re-imported them into the controller. Everything was fine, no problems with the compiling of the program, and the logic works just fine.

The next day, I come in to work and my partner tells me that there is some strange problem with his version of the program. I take a look, and all of the rungs that I had exported and imported (successfully) on my laptop showed up as "UNK" instructions on his. All of the rungs in question have the lowercase 'e' next to them.

He hadn't done anything other than correlate his copy to what was in the PLC.

So I export my copy as a L5K, and then try to re-import it. It exports just fine, but while importing, it dies while it is in the "Creating connection: Standard" part of the import.

It dies without a peep, and I haven't found any error log for the fault.

Any ideas as to what's causing this?

Thanks!

rootboy said:
...So I export my copy as a L5K, and then try to re-import it. It exports just fine, but while importing, it dies while it is in the "Creating connection: Standard" part of the import.

It dies without a peep, and I haven't found any error log for the fault.

Any ideas as to what's causing this?...

"Creating connection: Standard" is not a singular "part" of the import process. It is executed for each defined module instance.

Can you replicate the error over and over?

If you can, then just before you see "Creating connection: Standard" try to see if there is a specific piece of hardware mentioned like...

Creating module: 1756_EN2T_Drives
Creating connection: Standard
Error: Line 1037: Syntax error

If you can then it is most likely related to that specific piece of hardware and its configuration. Usually it's AOP related but yours is a strange case.

rootboy said:
...He hadn't done anything other than correlate his copy to what was in the PLC...

How exactly did he do that?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
"Creating connection: Standard" is not a singular "part" of the import process. It is executed for each defined module instance.

Can you replicate the error over and over?

If you can, then just before you see "Creating connection: Standard" try to see if there is a specific piece of hardware mentioned like...

Creating module: 1756_EN2T_Drives
Creating connection: Standard
Error: Line 1037: Syntax error

If you can then it is most likely related to that specific piece of hardware and its configuration. Usually it's AOP related but yours is a strange case.

The .L5K problem appears to be something unrelated to his issue. I removed the I/O modules manually from the .L5K and it converted at that point.

As for errors, this version doesn't show where the error occurred. Not like previous versions. No logs either, from what I can see.

How exactly did he do that?

Regards,
George

All he did was go online from what I can tell. He works firsts, and I work seconds, so I wasn't there to see it happen.

Last edited:
So what versions of RSLogix are you both using? What is his version, an uploaded copy?

We both should be using V24. However, he installed his from the DVD that came with the purchased copies, while I used the Rockwell direct download.

I had very similar if not the same issue with 5000 recognizing copy and pasted instruction as well. For some reason, sometime it just get confused with mnemonic. In fact, I can easily recreate this problem in 20.04.

Example, if I copy a rung of logic then select an empty rung and press <Enter> then right-click-Paste then I would get a UNK blah blah. However, if I skip the <Enter> to enter text entry mode then it would work fine. Seems like a glitch.

ETA: See the attached, change the drop down to "Neutral Text"

Temp.png

Last edited:
We both should be using V24. However, he installed his from the DVD that came with the purchased copies, while I used the Rockwell direct download.

No I meant was his copy of the program after you updated it uploaded out of the processor.

Some other programmers I'm working with have found some quirky things with v24, but more to do with the tag browser not displaying tag data and/or not displaying a complete list of tags. The programmer that has the most trouble likes to upload the PLC instead of working off an ACD file.

No I meant was his copy of the program after you updated it uploaded out of the processor.

Some other programmers I'm working with have found some quirky things with v24, but more to do with the tag browser not displaying tag data and/or not displaying a complete list of tags. The programmer that has the most trouble likes to upload the PLC instead of working off an ACD file.

He updated his copy from the PLC. Once he used the copy that I had provided for him the problem went away (I came in early today to help him out, but he had used the copy that I had provided him and that fixed things up).

Still, it's odd that something that I did from my laptop should affect him on his...

I had very similar if not the same issue with 5000 recognizing copy and pasted instruction as well. For some reason, sometime it just get confused with mnemonic. In fact, I can easily recreate this problem in 20.04.

No, the problem is that I imported text this way on my laptop, and caused the "UNK"s on his!

Example, if I copy a rung of logic then select an empty rung and press <Enter> then right-click-Paste then I would get a UNK blah blah. However, if I skip the <Enter> to enter text entry mode then it would work fine. Seems like a glitch.

ETA: See the attached, change the drop down to "Neutral Text"

What the problem is, is that RSLogix wants logic entered in PLC5 format for "In ASCII Text". There happens to be a utility that you can use to "downgrade" your Logix5000 code to PLC5 so that you can import it to the blank line (and import multiple rungs).

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=105323&highlight=convert2logix

But your way of doing it using "In Neutral Text" works just fine! I had never seen that before. Thanks for the tip!

I came across this yesterday and just thought I'd update the thread with it...

44047 - RSLogix 5000: UNK Unknown Instruction
Access Level: TechConnect

It mentions a few reasons why you might end up with UNK instructions in your RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer projects, including the pasting of rung text from Excel (not Notepad++).

Regards,
George