Factory talk ME help

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm deconstructing someone else's app provided by a customer that's no longer supported by the original supplier. I'm more familiar with SE. There's probably 40 or so individual alarm warning windows but I can't find how they are displayed. There's no event driver in ME and no underlying VBA. There is a single INT defined in the alarm setup with trigger values for other messages. But I don't see how these link to the individual windows...where would I look for something that is launching popups?

Another question...in ME when direct PLC tags are used is there a way to show a report of all of them used in the various connections throughout the project? Or is it only brute force of finding every button and animation and editing them?

Only thing that can pop open windows in ME that I know of is using the Remote Display tag, then punching a number in there will pop open that window number.

I use the Application documenter and generate a PDF file, then I made a macro in Excel to scan it and extract the addresses and where they were used. But you could just look at the report and write them down too.

Have a look for macro tags in the global connections.

You can now search for anything using the Find icon on the taskbar. The results of the search dialog is modal so you can click on each to open each object.

There is also Search and Replace.

I don't know what version they put them in but they were sorely needed.

In alarm setup you will find the window used for alarms under the advanced tab. The [ALARM] display is the default. Under the alarm Message Tab if you scroll to the right you will find a set of check boxes. The Display check box is used to show the message that are displayed. Also in Project settings you need to check the alarm box. This is where you also pick your start display and any parameter file needed for startup.

There is cross reference if you know the tag or part of the tag you are looking for. You can also open any display and under edit click select all. Once all objects on the page are selected the Tag Substitution option will become available. This will give you a view of all tags used on that display.

Last edited:
^does that work for plc direct connectuons....the only tags in the app are memory tags....all other buttons, animations etc use the plc access name and plc tag directly in the connection properties.

Yes the Tag Substitution will find all types.

Your best option would be to use the cross reference and search the PLC shortcut name. That will show all direct tags.

In the Explorer Pane look under RSLinx Enterprise > Communication Setup. Double click Communication Setup to show the Device Shortcuts and Paths.

Then search your [shortcut] Once the Cross Reference is complete you can double click on the result and it will take you to the object and highlight it as if you selected it.

Capture.jpg

Also in Project settings you need to check the alarm box. This is where you also pick your start display and any parameter file needed for startup.

Correction from previous post: You will find this under the System Folder / Startup Flag

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Have a look for macro tags in the global connections.

You can now search for anything using the Find icon on the taskbar. The results of the search dialog is modal so you can click on each to open each object.

There is also Search and Replace.

I don't know what version they put them in but they were sorely needed.

Version 8.0

They also fixed user accounts in that version; every try to move a project to a different computer?