Separated memories PLC Siemens S7-1500

Willheisen

Hello everyone!

I'm discovering the Siemens S7-1500 PLC and I have noticed that these PLC have separated memories (program and data), whereas the former generation S7-300 PLC only have one memory for both.
I have thought that the aim of separate memory is to protect program memory from use of too much data.

Am I right or there's another reasson?

The 300's had combined memory. The 400's were seperated, 50% code, 50% data. The 1500 pulls a lot of its features from both families.

I'm not really sure what the specific advantage is for them to be separate. It may be that it gains security by having data memory as non-executable. They may also have different requirements in the underlying system, and different HW to supply the memory to teh different areas. 2nd option seems less likely than the first.