Can Wonderware & FTView Coexist?

bludeuce

I have a customer that utilizes both Wonderware & FTView for different parts of their facility. They would like to have a backup PC that is capable of being inserted into either system in the event of a PC failure. I realize that the licensing will have to be addressed as well as keeping both applications up-to-date, but my bigger question is... Could both of these software packages be installed on the same PC & would they interfere with each other?

TIA

Maybe this is to simple, but could you not just virtualize either in separate VMs and then just run the one you need the day the backup PC is needed?

I have run both together before, Need a fairly beefy PC as they aren't light applications either of them.

We were connecting to different PLCs/Systems w/ them, but yeah.

Thanks Dravik! That's exactly what I was wanting to hear...

The hardware shouldn't be too big of an issue, we generally throw some pretty heavy hardware at our HMI's, to stay ahead of the curve (HMI's tend to get replaced at a much lower frequency than the office variety). They won't be running both apps at the same time anyway, it's an either/or situation.

Thanks mort81,

Virtualization is a possibility that I hadn't considered, should work, but the MSFT licensing gets a little more tricky with that solution.

Virtualize all of your SCADA servers. Keep live backups of them in multiple locations. As soon as one piece of hardware dies, roll out the latest VM backup onto any new piece of PC hardware you like, and you're away. No installs, no activations, nothing - just copy the VM over and press play.

I do it all the time. Have to have multiple versions of each to support all customers.
So one machine has FTView 8.0 and WW 10.1
Another has FTView 8.2 and WW 11.1
Yet another has FTView 6.1 and WW 9.5