referencing Bits to outputs

ljcoulthurst

I'm using a micrologix at school. I want to start associating bits (B3:0) or one i create like B9:0 for example...say i have 3 outputs. 2 lights and a motor.

O:2/0 - O: 2/2

how do I reference those outputs using the bits?

i have a more complicated assignment than that but the idea is the same.

so ideally i'd like to use bit B3:0 B3:1 and B3:2 to use instead of the outputs.

what i'm saying is ...when i want to say turn on an output...like O:2/0
and I want to use a bit instead of the literal O:2/0, how does the the program know that B3:0 is the same as O:2/0? if it doesn't, how do i tell it that I want to represent O:2/0 with binary bit B3:0? don't know how much more exact I can be.

My labeling got a little screwed up there but you get the idea. This way you can use the bit throughout the remainder of the program so that you don't have to use the output.

In the place where the OTE is, instead of entering an output address like O:1/0 enter B3/0, or whatever.

OTE.PNG

If I understand your question correctly then what you are trying to do is generally called I/O mapping. It is a very common practice that can be very useful in many applications. The most straight forward way to accomplish mapping is to associate each output with a corresponding binary bit. For example,

---| |-----------( )
B3:0/0 . ..... O:1/0

---| |-----------( )
B3:0/1 ...... O:1/1

---| |-----------( )
B3:0/2 .. .... O:1/2

And so on....

Then in you program if you wanted to turn on pilot light when a photo eye is blocked it would look something like this.

PE101
---| |-----------( )
I:0/0 ........B3:0/0

Pilot light
---| |-----------( )
B3:0/0 ......O:0/0

The same process can be used for all of your inputs as well. So when it's all said and done it looks like this.

PE101
---| |-----------( )
I:1/0 ......B3:1/0

---| |-----------( )
B3:1/0 ...... B3:0/0

.........Pilot light
---| |-----------( )
B3:0/0 ...... O:0/0

The actual mapping is a little time consuming at first, but once you have done it once, it is a simple copy/paste/adjust to do it again.

Hopefully this answers your question.
Bubba.

Last edited: