PLC integration

csalinas144

I am wanting to integrate a PLC into an air blow off system. Every time it sees a part via photo eye, I want it to tap into the compressor line. Every time there is nothing in front of the photo eye I want the air flow to stop.

The instructions I want the system to follow are a photoeye intermittent system. I am attempting to avoid some energy costs in a continuos flow manufacturing operation.

What pieces of the PLC will I need specifically?

I was thinking a photoelectric eye, a solenoid, allen bradley plc, and inputs and outputs. I don't know how to set it up. I don't know what to look for or where to look in buying these parts.

I came here today to learn some PLC basic vernacular also. So I need from you guys a little help from the people who've been around the block some. I am excited to learn about this. In the meantime I will study.

Depends on how basic or advanced your set up needs to be.

An intelligent relay will read the input > wait xx milliseconds and then output for xx milliseconds.

Or you can introduce a screen and change those values.

Or you could use the prox sensor to index an encoder for instance 'follow' the widget along the belt until it reaches the air nozzle.

What would you like to do in an ideal world, then we can advise to what you need.

Last edited:
when a widget comes into the correct location on the line, in a perfect world, the blow off valve will turn on, in order, to shunt the widget off the line and into a container. So essentially I need a photo lined up, fixed, into one spot. With a blow off valve directly behind my widgets.

It sounds like you don't need a PLC at all.

Basically you just want to energize a solenoid whenever the photo-eye sees a product? You could just have the photo-eye energize a relay and have the relay energize the solenoid.

If you want to get into PLCs, I would recommend Allen Bradley's Micro 800 line for beginners.

I have a meeting I need to get to, unfortunately. Hopefully you guys can check back in about 2-4 hours. I like Codenamecody idea. If its true that I don't need a PLC and just hardwire a photoeye to relay and relay to solenoid, I would definitely need help understanding the parts I need in making that happen.

You guys are awesome!! thank you.

when a widget comes into the correct location on the line, in a perfect world, the blow off valve will turn on, in order, to shunt the widget off the line and into a container. So essentially I need a photo lined up, fixed, into one spot. With a blow off valve directly behind my widgets.

It sounds like you have it pretty well covered.
A couple of things to consider is:
1) If this is a high speed operation then you'll need a PLC with a fast scan time and I/O modules with a fast response time.

2) Pick an solid state output module that will carry the current of the solenoid. Otherwise adding up the response times of the PLC, module, & relay may cause you trouble.

I wouldn't worry about a PLC, it won't speed up the interaction from Sensor to Relay to Solenoid.

Connect your output from the prox to the A1 of the relay and power the solenoid from the relay NO contacts. When there is a widget in front of the sensor, the air will be on.

several things were mentioned, but I will cover them probably

speed of conveyor
distance between parts.
size of part
shape of part
weight of part
height of part

relays have a limited lifespan, you might consider a solid state relay.
delay between seeing the part, output and valve turning on.
air consumption to be used and what the plant can supply.

you need to have several parts and do some tests.

quickly done, I have a meeting in 5 minutes.

regards,
james

I think the other guys have this covered with the relay thing. I just want to add one thing;
If you want to learn to PLC I recommend going to Automation Direct and getting a little Click PLC and a cable. The software is free and there is plenty of training material available for free online. Also I think the guys on here could help you when you get stuck.

One of the units at this link could get you started in learning to program in Ladder Logic.

https://www.automationdirect.com/clickplcs/hardware/click-cpu#basic