G.E. series 90-70 comms

RY_Guthrie

I am taking a new position that requires me to use G.E. series 90-70 plc and wanting a little info before I get out in the field. Can someone direct me to a you tube video or pdf on how to set up serial and or Ethernet comms for this model of plc? I have no experience with G.E. accept a series one, and if anyone is familiar with this its really old, cassette tape old. thanks!

The 90-70 was introduced in 1990. At initial introduction the software to program it was a DOS application called Logicmaster. Logicmaster was displaced by VersaPro which was succeeded by Proficy Machine Edition. Programs developed under the earlier software can be imported into the newer software. Communications can be either serial or Ethernet.
What software will you be using?

not sure

Thanks for the reply, I am assuming that they will have the latest software, proficy machine addition and hopefully Ethernet comms. But if they dont have Ethernet and are using serial is there a special cable or will a standard 9 pin d shell serial cable work with standard comm settings?

If they are using serial communications, the port on the PLC will most likely be 15-pin Dsub and will be RS485. You will need a RS485/RS232 converter to connect to a COM port on your PC. There is 5VDC available on the 15-pin port to power the converter. GE's part number for the serial cable and converter is IC690ACC901.
The default serial port parameter settings on the hardware match the software's default settings. Most users don't change them.

Thank you that was very helpful, I found the cable on several web sites. I am assuming any rs-232 to 485 convertor will work? I have several and dont want to buy another if I dont need it unless its specialized for the G.E. cable.