battery monitoring

bergis

Hello

I want to make a 24V battery monitoring. I'll raise the alarm before the batteries are completely empty. there are two 12- volt batteries and I'll check the current on them once a week.
while I will measure and I'll turn off the charger and put on a load of batteries to measure the discharge.

I've got a Schnider sr2 b121bd

how do I do this ??? please help:cry:

Hello

I want to make a 24V battery monitoring. I'll raise the alarm before the batteries are completely empty. there are two 12- volt batteries and I'll check the current on them once a week.
while I will measure and I'll turn off the charger and put on a load of batteries to measure the discharge.

I've got a Schnider sr2 b121bd

how do I do this ??? please help:cry:

You need to check the voltage if you want to check battery health, you could use any voltage/current sensor or use a dedicated battery monitor:

http://www.clrwtr.com/Weidmuller-Monitoring-Modules.htm

http://www.argacontrols.com/battery.htm

Generally pay $1500 AU for my battery chargers - pretty flash though - huge - mounted on a plate. Even detect the battery centre point for uneven battery voltage/failure.

Generally pay $1500 AU for my battery chargers - pretty flash though - huge - mounted on a plate. Even detect the battery centre point for uneven battery voltage/failure.

Yep, the PULS ones have that function too, we use them for sets up to 100Ah without issues.

I don't really get this reinventing the wheel attitude when you can buy off the shelf components that will give you everything you need for a couple of hundred £

And the flaw in the OP's method is turning the charger off to monitor the battery, what if the battery is indeed kaput and your charger is holding the load up ?

Last edited:
I need to send out an alarm signal when the batteries lose power
and I need to turn off the battery charger when I measure the battery
I need to do this test once a week

I need to send out an alarm signal when the batteries lose power
and I need to turn off the battery charger when I measure the battery
I need to do this test once a week

But if you turn off the battery charger to measure the battery and the battery has failed since the last time you tested it you will loose your supply. :confused: :unsure:

What model of charger are you using ?

The monitoring device and chargers i linked to can do all this for you.

I don't really get this reinventing the wheel attitude when you can buy off the shelf components that will give you everything you need for a couple of hundred £

And the flaw in the OP's method is turning the charger off to monitor the battery, what if the battery is indeed kaput and your charger is holding the load up ?

Mostly here we have battery chargers specified by electrical consultants. They invariably specify up to 20 digital outputs for monitoring by a PLC or BMS system. They have to be built to suit the specification. Common alarm is not enough for most of my jobs.

Turning chargers off for an hour is also quite common here to test the batteries. Measure the battery voltage across all batteries at the start and at the end. Also normally specified. Helps pick up failing cells.

Different requirements in different companies and parts of the world?