control logix

RY_Guthrie

I have a control logix, I believe its a l74 processor, dont know the hard ware or software rev. My question is this I need to swap out an analog input card and I need to know if I can do this hot? It is in the local rack, plc resides in it, so its a full sized card, not remote I/O. Is that possible without faulting the processor?

Yes, with the caveat that either the replacement module must be identical to the existing one (well, not broken, but same revision, series, and firmware) OR it must be close enough, and the program must not be set to Exact Keying for the slot.

With the ControLogix the default settings allow hot swap. There are some gotchas that were mentioned above.

Generally if it is the same part number and the same or newer revision, you are safe. But the controller could be configured to only work with the exact same revision. But that is not typical.

The controller could also be configured so that would fault if it lost communications with the analog module. But that is also not typical. Without the software to access the program there is no way to know how it is configured.

OG