SLC 500 (Program has errors. Can not download!)

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Board,

I'm doing some demo work at my desk, trying to teach myself how to map devicenet network drives on an older SLC 500 control system...

We have a bunch of old Reliance drives on our device networks that have recently gone obsolete and I'm working on learning how to upgrade these drives to a PF 525 setup...

I've done quite a bit of work and I think I've figured out how to map the new drives by referencing reports generated from the current network, but now I'm trying to actually test this offline to make sure I can make the new drive work with current SLC 500 program...

I've got a spare SLC 500 (4 slot) rack on my desk and powered up. I've got a 1747 scanner card installed, one input card, and one output card... I've also got a demo .5 hp 525 from a local supplier with a motor onboard so I can test the drive functions...

I'm trying load one of my current line programs onto this SLC 500 on my desk and no matter what I do I can't get the program to download. I keep getting a dialog box that says "Program has errors. Can not download!"

The current line program has two 7 slot racks so I opened the program up and went to I/O configuration and ran a read I/O function there. It put the right rack configuration together to match my SLC 500 on my desk. I saved as that program and then tried to download the program and I get the above message...

Let me know if you have any questions or need any further information to be able to help guide me in the right direction...

Thanks,

John Whited

Right click on Program Files in the project tree. Select the Verify Program option. Any program errors will be displayed in a error window at the bottom of the screen.

with the RSLogix500 software, when you use the "Read the I/O" feature (which is a "good" thing) it usually offers to "clear out" any existing configuration settings in "Advanced" type modules ...

just GUESSING here - but did you happen to "clear out" your DeviceNET scanner module's settings? ... if so, you'll probably have to go back into the module's "Advanced Configuration" screen - and reset the entries ...

TIP: once you get the module set up correctly, if a message pops up that says: "Duplicate module found" or something along those lines - it's usually best to click the selection that lets you "Keep the existing settings" ...

DISCLAIMER: all of this is being written from memory ... the precise wording on your screen might be different - but you should be able to follow the ideas ...

if this doesn't help, consider posting a screen shot of the error messages that you're seeing ...

TIP: try using the "Verify Project" feature from the very top of the RSLogix500 menu ... sometimes that gives more descriptive error messages ...

Last edited:
Here are three snips that show all of the error messages generated in the results pane...

It's all related to I/O that is not currently configured...

Is there a way to isolate all of these and turn them on / off as needed for simulation?

Error Snip 1.jpg Error Snip 2.jpg Error Snip 3.jpg

Do I have to get rid of all the I/O addresses that are available in my demo rack (on my desk) or is there a way to turn addresses off for program verification?

You can't fake out a wrong rack size, but you can use the slot disable bits to ignore I/O cards that are missing. Then you can put the I/O configuration that matches your program in the configuration file and the program should verify properly. Working from memory, the slot disable bits start at S:11. You can view in the structured format to see how the bits align with the 30 possible local slots. If I remember correctly, S:11/1 is slot 1, S:11/2 is slot two and so on through S:12/14. Turning on those bits will disable the slots and let you have a configuration mismatch and still download without faulting when you go to RUN mode. I can't remember if you can enter a "1" into those bits from the structured view, but you can do it from the data file binary view.

If you can't use the matching rack size, then you would have to get rid of the I/I references in the logic that you can't fake out.

If it comes to that, you can create some new data files and search and replace with a wildcard to do it quickly.

Example: Say there's is a 1746-NI8 called for in slot 8. Search for I:8.* replace with N101:* That will replace I:8.0 with N101:0, I:8.1 with N101:1 and so forth. You can use the wild card asterisk at the bit level too.

Last edited:
You can't fake out a wrong rack size, but you can use the slot disable bits to ignore I/O cards that are missing. Then you can put the I/O configuration that matches your program in the configuration file and the program should verify properly. Working from memory, the slot disable bits start at S:11. You can view in the structured format to see how the bits align with the 30 possible local slots. If I remember correctly, S:11/1 is slot 1, S:11/2 is slot two and so on through S:12/14. Turning on those bits will disable the slots and let you have a configuration mismatch and still download without faulting when you go to RUN mode. I can't remember if you can enter a "1" into those bits from the structured view, but you can do it from the data file binary view.

If you can't use the matching rack size, then you would have to get rid of the I/I references in the logic that you can't fake out.

If it comes to that, you can create some new data files and search and replace with a wildcard to do it quickly.

Example: Say there's is a 1746-NI8 called for in slot 8. Search for I:8.* replace with N101:* That will replace I:8.0 with N101:0, I:8.1 with N101:1 and so forth. You can use the wild card asterisk at the bit level too.

I've attached snips from my Processor Status, IO tab... Is this what you're talking about?

I tried selecting just the first four slots; is that what you're telling me to look at?

Thanks for your help...

John Whited

PStatus IO Enable Slots 1 (First 4 slots enabled).jpg PStatus IO Enable Slots 1 (This is how it started).jpg

Attached are some more snips;

This shows my I/O Configuration before I ran the READ I/O function...
(Two pictures to show all the slots configured)

The third picture shows my current slot configuration with for the demo SLC I'm trying to use...

Thanks,

John Whited

IO configuration (BEFORE) 1.jpg IO configuration (BEFORE) 2.jpg IO configuration (CURRENT).jpg

Good to know about the wildcard * tip...

I sure appreciate this board!

Thanks,

John Whited