cable to upload parameters on Ultra3000 Rockwell drive

Kataeb

we need to upload the parameters on an old Ultra3000 Rockwell drive. the manuals mention the below cables to be used. is it simple RS232 cables? can we make this cable? the local delivery on the items is long! thank you

Rockwell Allen-Bradley Servo Drive Model Number 2098-DSD-HV030
Cables to connect to laptop:
If your personal computer has a serial port, use a 2090-UXPC-D09xx serial cable or similar null modem cable with wiring as described in the Ultra3000 Digital Servo Drives Installation Manual, publication 2098-IN003.
If your personal computer has USB ports, use a USB to serial adapter (catalog number 9300-USBS) to convert your RS-232 port to USB. The 2090-UXPC-D09xx serial cable is still needed between the 9300-USBS converter and the Ultra3000 drive.

kindly, i tried a usb to serial cable, but could not reach the drive.
in the manual they mention the following:
If your personal computer has USB ports, use a USB to serial adapter (catalog number 9300-USBS) to convert your RS-232 port to USB. The 2090-UXPC-D09xx serial cable is still needed between the 9300-USBS converter and the Ultra3000 drive.
!

...The 2090-UXPC-D09xx serial cable is still needed between the 9300-USBS converter and the Ultra3000 drive.
!
Yes, translation, you still need a "Null Modem cable". Build your own.

Make a cable with a 9-pin male and 9-pin female.
Three wires. Tx to Rx, Rx to Tx, and Com to Com.
2-3
3-2
5-5

Your post #3 is a full Null Modem cable, but you don't need all of that. Just the three wires will do.

Last edited:
Kataeb said:
...i tried a usb to serial cable, but could not reach the drive...

Can you clarify that you are saying that you tried to connect by plugging the USB to Serial adapter directly into the drive with no cable in between?

If so, then yes, you still need the mentioned cable or an equivalent null modem cable in between. I would follow the members' good advice above. Here is some more info on that...

47737 - Pin out and cable for the Ultra™ Series Communication Cable 2090-UXPC-D09xx
Access Level: Everyone

Note: There is also a mention of jumpering pins 7 & 8 together on the computer end of the null modem cable (Female). These are the RTS (7 - Request To Send) and CTS (8 - Clear To Send) pins. Some software implementations use serial flow control or handshaking. If the software were to send a Request To Send (RTS) signal then it will wait until it gets a reply on the Clear To Send (CTS) signal before transmitting any data. By jumpering pins 7 & 8 together this effectively sets the Clear to Send (CTS) signal immediately and bypasses the handshaking. This can be important if the software does indeed check the CTS signal before transmitting data and the end device, the drive, does not support this handshaking.

In the case of Ultraware, I cannot be entirely sure of this fact. Firstly, because it has been so long since I have used Ultraware and this serial connection, and secondly, because I have only ever use the 2090-UXPC-D0903 (3m) communication cable which has pins 7 & 8 jumpered. So whether it still works, every time, without this jumper, I cannot say with any certainty. My hunch is it that it doesn't need it, but just in case, I'll leave that one for others who have tried successfully to answer.

If or when you do have a null modem cable in between your USB to Serial adapter and the drive, and it still will not connect, then check what COM port number has been assigned to your USB to Serial adapter. Ultraware will only work with COM 1-4. It does not know anything about the adapter in between and thinks it is communicating out a native RS-232 serial port, which normally only use COM 1-4. USB to Serial adapters tend to take an available COM port number starting at COM 5 or higher. If your adapter is using anything higher than COM 4 then you will have to attempt to configure it to one of COM 1-4...

57191 - Ultraware: COM port consideration when using USB to Serial adapter
Access Level: TechConnect

This technote is linked in the above, but here it is anyway...

46489 - Ultra 3000, Ultraware: Connecting via a USB to RS-232 Converter
Access Level: TechConnect

That one mentions the USB versions and how they can effect which baud rate is to be used. Older USB 1.0 adapters support a maximum of 19.2kbaud, whereas USB 2.0 will support higher. If your adapter is USB 1.0 and the baud rate is currently say 38.4kbaud, then you would need to drop down to 19.2kbaud for it to work.

Other tips to mention...

Stop RSLinx Classic before attempting communications - "Exit and Shutdown" RSLinx Classic session or Stop "RSLinx Classic" service.

If you are getting a "Formatting Error" in Ultraware then delete any DF1 or PIC drivers, if they exist.

Regards,
George