RSView32 and database browser Question

SteveC

Hi guys,
Ive just started using this package, and just finding my bearings at the mo!
But I have been trying to use the database browser function when entering tags, with no luck. I enter the correct node, and the correct PLC database but it will not find anything. I can access tags fine entering them manually.
I am using RSLinx gateway, looking at SLC505 processors over ethernet. The other engineer is using RSLinx pro and he can browse them no prob, could this be it?
He doesnt know why this is happening either!

No, just have set the plc up in the ethernet devices section. Do i have to set up an OPC topic? (not something I have done before!!)
Not got project with me at moment so cant try anything. Will look at it tommorrow if I get chance.

Yes RSView uses the OPC topic to online browse the PLC.

If you also associate a ControlLogix .ACD file with the RSLinx OPC topic then you also get the choice of browsing both the online or the offline processors.

Setting up an OPC topic is very easy...the first time should take less than 5 minutes of reading. All the info you need is in the online help file.

Still no luck browsing. The opc topics were already placed in the topic confic section, just needed tweeking but still not browsing. Do i need Linx Pro??

Like i said, i can access the tags by entering them by hand, just not able to browse.

still no luck, but given up, going to do it manually!!!

going off on a tangent, is there any difference, or any adavantages, of communicating with the processors using direct driver TCP/IP or using the OPC server through Linx??

Hi stevec, be sure you have:
1- the driver in rslinx well configured and you can see the
plc in the rswho.
2- you have an opc topic configured in rslinx, pointing to the
right processor. you can do this with any opc browser.
3- you have configured correctly in the node section of the
rsview32 project the opc server you want.
4- if so, you wont have any troubles..... hopefully..

Last edited:
Yup all done, still not going!!! Like i said, i can access tags no problem, just not browse them (and take all the comments with the tags). The other guy im with can, but he has RSLinx pro, im running gateway. Its the only difference out of the 2 computers that we can think can be causing it!