DC drive card - OT

Hi
I've got a 90V 0.55KW DC permanent magnet motor whose speed I need to vary with an analogue signal. Anyone know of a manufacturer of a unit that might perform this.

Thanks and apologies for OT.

pp

Many 90VDC speed controls will accept a 0-10V analog signal in place of the potentiometer. What brand/model speed control are you currently using?

beerchug

-Eric

If you are using some external 0-10VDC signal as a reference, such as from another drive, or piece of equipment, it is strongly advised that you put a signal isolator between the reference and the KB drive.

They make isolators for all of their drives.

We have a lot of the Seco DC Drives (Bronco II 160 Series) controling our 0-90 DC motors.

Bob O.

As rdrast suggested, a signal isolator is recommended. KB Electronics signal isolators are on THIS page.

Let me guess, you're using a KBIC-120 control... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Originally posted by Eric Nelson:
As rdrast suggested, a signal isolator is recommended.

I'll go a little stronger on this. A signal isolator is required unless your analog signal source has built-in isolation. One of the ways KB keeps their drive costs down is how they derive their logic power. They use a resistor based voltage splitter off the main AC supply and rectify that. This means the whole drive floats at the AC supply level. I fried a few non-isolated analog output points before I looked at the drive schematic and came across that morsel.
That being said, the KB drives are a very capable product for the price. They don't have great bandwidth but they will give you reasonable speed control for a reasonable price.

Keith