Help with DNP3 packet inspection

scrambled

Hi all,

I'm trying to troubleshoot why a point-to-point serial DNP3 link suddenly stopped working and need some expert advice on the matter, since I have no formal training on DNP3 and everything I learnt is on the job.

Context

There's a serial fibre link from a Prosoft DNP3 gateway to an SEL RTU that was working fine but suddenly experienced major issues. Basically, it would only work for one or two minutes at a time before dropping out for almost an hour and then start working again for another few minutes before dropping out for another long period of time. The RTU is the DNP master and the DNP3 gateway is the slave (converts to Modbus on the other end).

The DNP3 polling scheme is basically an integrity poll every 2 seconds with unsolicited responses disabled by the master RTU (I'm aware how idiotic this setup is but that's what I have to work with). The actual request is below:

Code:
Function: PRI_UNCONFIRMED_USER_DATA Dest: 1 Source: 0 Length: 20
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 SEQ: 31 LEN: 14
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 CON: 0 UNS: 0 SEQ: 8 FUNC: READ
060,002 - Class Data - Class 1 - all objects
060,003 - Class Data - Class 2 - all objects
060,004 - Class Data - Class 3 - all objects
060,001 - Class Data - Class 0 - all objects

The fibre link is dedicated to the RTU-gateway comms, there are no other nodes that communicate on it. I have full access to the gateway, while I have very limited access to the remote RTU as it is a device managed by a third-party.

Questions I need help with

I captured the raw hex dump from the Prosoft gateway and ran it through a DNP3 decoder. What I've found is that the RTU is integrity polling significantly more sporadically than its specified 2 second interval. This RTU was previously polling fine with the same settings and program.

The traffic I'm seeing much more regularly from the RTU is the request to disable unsolicited responses from the gateway slave. Decoded request is shown below:

Code:
Function: PRI_UNCONFIRMED_USER_DATA Dest: 1 Source: 0 Length: 17
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 SEQ: 55 LEN: 11
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 CON: 0 UNS: 0 SEQ: 0 FUNC: DISABLE_UNSOLICITED
060,002 - Class Data - Class 1 - all objects
060,003 - Class Data - Class 2 - all objects
060,004 - Class Data - Class 3 - all objects

The response from the gateway is very telling:

Code:
Function: PRI_UNCONFIRMED_USER_DATA Dest: 0 Source: 1 Length: 10
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 SEQ: 56 LEN: 4
FIR: 1 FIN: 1 CON: 0 UNS: 0 SEQ: 0 FUNC: RESPONSE IIN: [0x16, 0x20]
IIN1.1 - Class 1 events
IIN1.2 - Class 2 events
IIN1.4 - Need time
IIN2.5 - Configuration corrupt

Basically, it indicates that there is some configuration corruption in the gateway, which I obviously need to look at. However, even though the configuration is corrupt, the gateway is still perfectly capable of reporting back its DNP3 points on a read request. Furthermore, it doesn't not explain why it would affect polling rate of the RTU master? Instead of integrity polling as it should, the RTU just keeps sending out unsolicited response disable requests.

The issue isn't that the gateway is sending back malformed data (because it's not), the problem is moreso the RTU is not polling it as it originally should, despite there being no changes made to it. I even tested this with a DNP3 master simulator and the simulator has no issues polling the gateway every 2 seconds - the data comes in perfectly fine.

My question is: is the RTU dynamically adjusting its polling rate based off the IIN bits it is receiving from the gateway? That would be my only explanation as to why the RTU is not polling as per its original specification. I have not much experience designing DNP3 communication schemes but is this normal programmed behaviour?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has read my wall of text.

Last edited:
Hello,

>My question is: is the RTU dynamically adjusting its polling rate based off the IIN bits it is receiving from the gateway?

Perhaps, I would ask the RTU supplier.

I deleted what I wrote about all the methods to implement a polling scheme because it does not matter.

>...it indicates that there is some configuration corruption in the gateway, which I obviously need to look at.

I would address that first. It is not normal and handling it might solve the issue.

>I have very limited access to the remote RTU as it is a device managed by a third-party.

A power cycle of the RTU might cause a configuration reload from uncorrupted protected memory, cause a complete failure of the RTU or change nothing.

Without access to the RTU you might not solve this issue. The IIN2.5 flag needs to be solved first, IMHO.

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, the appearance of IIN2.5 is not normal and is something I'm looking at as well. However, since the gateway is just a slave, it doesn't adequately explain why the master RTU would stop polling it every 2 seconds unless it looks at the IIN flags to adjust DNP3 comms dynamically (again I don't know if this is something done normally). The IIN2.5 flag also does not affect the integrity of the data sent back by the gateway when it is polled.

Easiest solution is I'm hoping a full reset of the gateway config will be able to clear the IIN2.5 and in turn instill normal polling behaviour back, hopefully a hardware replacement isn't necessary. Hopefully, the RTU isn't corrupt as well.

Also did some more research on IIN1.4 - Need Time. Apparently that is a time sync request from the slave? However, I don't see the master RTU ever responding to that IIN with an explicit timestamp packet. Every single response from the slave has that IIN1.4 bit set, meaning it is continually requesting a time from the master and apparently being ignored. Could that pose issues?

Last edited:
For the benefit of anyone who happens to read this in the future, the cause of the comms issue turned out to be a dodgy fibre connection near the master RTU end. The party managing the RTU insisted the fault was on my end, so were very reluctant to assist or provide me access to the control room housing the device. Hence it took me more than a week to resolve an issue that could've been fixed in a day.

The IIN2.5 turned out to be a bug in the Prosoft firmware, however it did not impact the polling behaviour of the master RTU, which essentially ignored the IIN flag. Essentially, it was a red herring.