RS Logix 500- Needed to create a new file on upload and lost comments.

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I needed to go online with a program that the offline program was not up to date. Not a big deal , I went into the program that had comments , Save As , checked the box "Save data base as external files" . Opened the uploaded project with no comments , Tools / Database /Native Imports , and I have the comments.

But what I do not have is the descriptions in the project tree , such as.....
LAD 2 - Main
LAD 3 - Line 1 Inputs
LAD 4 - Line 2 Inputs

F100 - Product Codes
N101 - Patterns

I have just
LAD 2
LAD 3
LAD 4

F100
N101

Where are these descriptions located at , and how can I recover them ?

Thanks in advance ,

The easiest way I know of to get them back is to export all of the documentation from your old (out of date) file, and import it into the uploaded file. Obviously, you won't have any comments on whatever has been changed between your old and new files, but it's better than nothing.

Also watch for stray rung comments. I can't say for sure whether it's always/sometimes/never an issue with RSL500, but on some PLC's if you do this trick, and someone has inserted a rung halfway down a routine, the comments don't get moved down. So the everything from the newly inserted rung down gets the comment that should be on the rung below, until you get to the bottom rung which no longer has a comment.

^ YES! That has happened to me and makes for a nightmare trying to understand the code down the road. Be very careful when merging old comments into a newer program!

Good Afternoon ,

I needed to go online with a program that the offline program was not up to date. Not a big deal , I went into the program that had comments , Save As , checked the box "Save data base as external files" . Opened the uploaded project with no comments , Tools / Database /Native Imports , and I have the comments.

But what I do not have is the descriptions in the project tree , such as.....
LAD 2 - Main
LAD 3 - Line 1 Inputs
LAD 4 - Line 2 Inputs

F100 - Product Codes
N101 - Patterns

I have just
LAD 2
LAD 3
LAD 4

F100
N101

Where are these descriptions located at , and how can I recover them ?

Thanks in advance ,

Instead of using "Native Import....

Open your file that HAS comments....
Then go to TOOLS > DATABASE > ASCII EXPORT

You will see dialog box where you can choose to export:
Address/Symbol Descriptions
Instruction Comments
Page Title / Rung Descriptions
Symbol Groups
Program File Names

Each of these will receive a distinct file extension upon export which you will save to a file folder of your choosing.

Now open your file WITHOUT comments....
Then go to TOOLS > DATABASE > ASCII IMPORT and import each of the files you just saved from the previous export.

BCS

Last edited:
Actually, you can get there from the process you originally took also.

When you sellect FILE > SAVE AS....You will see a box to check that says "Export database".

If you check this the "Export file types" box will become active.
Next to that you can press "Export Options" and this will take you to the exact same diolog box I mentioned in my last post.

I love this forum...learn new stuff all the time.
All these years and I never noticed this before. :site:
Driving blind most of the time I guess.

BCS

Last edited: