FactoryTalk View Studio *Used* Passwords

So I was compiling a new .Mer for a machine I don't have a need to login to all too often. I figured since I was compiling a new runtime for it, and could not remember the password I set up for myself the last time, I would just reset it and enter my usual password for most things. But I can't. I've used this password before, so It won't let me use it again. But I want to use it again. Is there a way to clear the cache for past passwords, or some other workaround to achieve using the same password again? While I appreciate Rockwell trying to protect me from myself, in this case it's really not necessary.

I'm not sure if this will clear the cache, but it should allow you to use old passwords.

In Studio, on the left-side in Explorer open System>Policies>System Policies>Security Policy
Then change Previous Passwords Remembered to 0

SecurityPolicy.png

This supports the above good info but also points out a "small" inconvenience for newer versions of FactoryTalk View Machine Edition...

48422 - Change Previous Passwords Remembered policy in FactoryTalk Security
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

Previous Passwords !*!*

This infuriates me....

In our daily lives we have to deal with so many passwords I have to keep a password-protected spreadsheet of them all, and we know how secure (sic) excel password protection is....

Some places insist on a minimum number of characters, some require a mix of letters and numbers, some insist that at least one of the letters be a CAPITAL letter, some even insist that you include a "special" character, e.g. !""£$%^&*(){}~# etc.

I used to work for an SI, their (new) IT guy instigated a new password policy which meant it had to be changed every month, and we could not use any of the previous 12 months passwords.

After a couple of months, I was "challenged" to come up with yet another easy-to-remember password, so brought up the subject with him..... His reply was - "do what i do, use the same password you always use, but put _jan, _feb, _mar etc. on the end.....". He could not understand why I nearly fell over laughing... And this guy got 1st with Honours at uni.. go figure.

Our multinational enforces such a policy. Every month we have to change our Single Sign On (SSO) password and it cannot be any of the last 12 previous passwords, in line with the 12 monthly calendar year. I use a particular password phrase and simply append an incremental number to the end. Just about everyone I know in this company, and that is a lot of people, both here and abroad, do likewise.

Somewhat counterproductive from a security standpoint, but less counterproductive to most from a business standpoint, if accidentally locked out of their account.

As we have no local IT Support (outsourced to Bangalore), I get dragged into a lot of IT "fun" here. I have a 48 port switch sitting on my desk for 2 weeks up and running so some guy the other side of the world can keep remoting in to it whenever he feels like having another go at configuring it. I'll then have to install it and deal with whatever other headaches I'm sure it's going to produce. They always do. So I end up sitting in front of most employees' computers solving issues, at some point or another, including the Plant Manager's, and I have all their "rolling" password phrases. Dangerous, but I am entrusted with this power.

I have 5 personal computers of my own to manage between business and automation duties and I just like to have enough security to keep the average Joe out but not have to ever call on "Ethan Hunt".

G.

I'm not sure if this will clear the cache, but it should allow you to use old passwords.

In Studio, on the left-side in Explorer open System>Policies>System Policies>Security Policy
Then change Previous Passwords Remembered to 0

Good info! Thank you! I forgot that was there. I've come across that in the past and totally forgot it was there.

I had made a minor change in the project and just wanted to make sure my password was set to something I would remember, my 'usual suspect'. I forgot what password I had used in this project last. All good now. Thanks for all the help guys!

With apologies to xkcd, this seems like the perfect place to bring this gem up :D
password_strength.png