Surge protection before a 24 VDC source.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
We stopped using 110 VAC surge protection when we started using 24 VDC PLCs, instead of the 110 VAC.
Never had a problem in almost 10 years, but recently a CompactLogix lost its program.
Aside from discussing what could have happened with the PLC, do you recommend to use a power conditioner (surge protector) between the 110 VAC transformer and the 24 VDC power supply?

Thank you!

We use corcom.

had a slc 5/04 that lost its program 2 times in 2 weeks.
plant had a brownout each time.

we installed one of these units and never had another issue.
its now standard on all panels I have built.

regards,
james

Outputs that control inductive loads ( solenoids,relays).

http://www.actsensors.com/custom-sensors/surge_protection.htm
Thank you for the feedback, Mickey.
No, I don't use that kind of surge protection.
However, you are talking about the PLC digital outputs, aren't you? My problem is related to the PLC processor for a CompactLogix. Unless you are trying to say that the inductive loads could have affected this processor.

Thank you all for the input so far.
My question was more about your recommendation about whether using or not using a surge protection between the 110 VAC transformer and the 24 VDC power source.

Thank you for the feedback, Mickey.
No, I don't use that kind of surge protection.
However, you are talking about the PLC digital outputs, aren't you? My problem is related to the PLC processor for a CompactLogix. Unless you are trying to say that the inductive loads could have affected this processor.

If the 24vdc that powers the processor is also used to power the outputs then yes the inductive spike can cause the processor to lose its program.

If the 24vdc that powers the processor is also used to power the outputs then yes the inductive spike can cause the processor to lose its program.
Yes, it's the same power source...
In this case I guess the surge protector wouldn't be of much help, right.
If this was the reason of the issue, I wonder why this problem happened to us the first time in 10 years.

We stopped using 110 VAC surge protection when we started using 24 VDC PLCs, instead of the 110 VAC.

Didn't you just make this change?

IMHO, its always good practice to use surge protection across inductive loads. It may or may not be your problem though.

Another is grounding.

OK, it seems that, in addition to the surge protection between the 110 VAC transformer and the 24 VDC power source, I would need to use surge suppression, in my case mainly for the 24 volt valves.
Having said that, could you share more details on how you implement it? Schematics, part numbers and some photos will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!