Thanks

Hi my friend,

asterof said:
...Factorytalk View ME Version 9...

10 out of 10 for detail.

asterof said:

2 out of 10 for detail.

You know the rules!...

What is the catalog number for the PanelView Plus 6 terminal?

You could be using a PanelView Plus 6 400 or 600 with a 1761-NET-AIC+ connected to the SLC 5/02 Channel 1 DH-485.

Or...

You could be using a PanelView Plus 6 700 - 1500 with a 2711P-RN6 module connected to the SLC 5/02 Channel 1 DH-485.

asterof said:
...Using USB To DH485 UIC converter
What driver do I setup in RSlinx Enterprise
to allow me to download the project to the PV...

As the 1747-UIC interface converter is designed to connect to devices using the DH-485 protocol, it cannot be used to transfer MER runtime application files from a workstation to a PanelView Plus terminal. This is because serial DH-485 is not a supported transfer method. You must use either Serial DF1 or Ethernet, if your terminal supports Ethernet, as a connected transfer method.

Alternatively, you can use a USB flash drive or an SD Card as a portable method of transferring application files from your workstation to the terminal.

When attempting a connected transfer method, such as Serial DF1 or Ethernet, to a PanelView Plus 6, you must use the ME Transfer Utility (METU) v7.00, or higher. This utility was introduced at FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10 as a standalone installation. This means that you can install the utility on a workstation without installing FactoryTalk View Studio itself. But it is installed automatically when FactoryTalk View Studio is installed.

As you are using FactoryTalk View Studio v9 your ME Transfer Utility (METU) should be at the latest version.

To setup the communication link, so METU can transfer the application, you must first make a cabled connection and configure the driver in RSLinx Enterprise. If using Serial DF1, for instance, you would need to use a suitable cable from your workstation to the terminal. Again, the 1747-UIC is not suitable here. A 2711-NC13, 2711-NC14 or a 2706-NC13 cable will provide a direct RS-232 DB-9 point-to-point connection. If your workstation does not have a native RS-232 port then you will need to connect a suitable USB to serial adapter cable, such as a 9300-USBS adapter from Rockwell, or equivalent. This connects between one of the above cables and your workstation's USB port of choice.

To configure the Serial DF1 driver in RSLinx Enterprise, or Ethernet, for that matter, go to the Communication Setup and specifically to the Design (Local) tab. This tab is only used to configure communications between your workstation and the terminal. It has nothing to do with communications that will be used at Runtime. That will, obviously, be configured on the other tab - Runtime (Target).

Serial DF1 driver...

I won't go any further on this as it is somewhat detailed and I don't know if you will want to go this route or not just to transfer the application. If you do then let me know if you require further assistance. You could also wish to use the Ethernet method, but as we don't yet know the terminal's catalog number, it may not even be an option here.

To setup the DH-485 communications that will be used at Runtime between the terminal and SLC you, of course, go to the Runtime (Target) tab. You then need to add and configure a DH-485 driver. There are a couple of specifics here in choosing and configuring the correct driver and it will be dependant on which terminal model and communications option you are using.

So again, the catalog number for the terminal is most important here.

Regards,
George

Additional Information

PanelView 2711P-K4C20A8
As it has an Ethernet Port I guess I set that up
as the local and the serial port as DH485
Yes it is FactoryTalk V9 Studio Edition

I know you have it in you! Spell it all out...

asterof said:
PanelView 2711P-K4C20A8...

PanelView Plus 6 2711P-K4C20A8

OK, terminal specs...

PanelView Plus 6 2711P-K4C20A8:
K4 = Keypad only, 4 inch colour display
C20 = communications RS-232 & Ethernet ports
A = AC supply
8 = Windows CE 6.0 standard

For the Runtime communications between the terminal and the SLC...

Because it is a "400" terminal it does not support separate communication modules, such as the 2711P-RN6 module, which provide a terminated 6-Pin Phoenix Plug for connecting directly onto a DH-485 network. With these modules you would use the "DH-485" driver in RSLinx Enterprise.

For the 400 and 600 model terminals you must use the available RS-232 serial port with the "Serial DH-485" driver (different to the "DH-485" driver) in RSLinx Enterprise and connect to the DH-485 network, or SLC 5/02, via a network interface, such as a 1761-NET-AIC, or an older 1747-AIC, if that is what you have.

How far apart are the SLC and terminal and how do you intend to connect them together to communicate using the DH-485 protocol?

asterof said:
...As it has an Ethernet Port I guess I set that up as the local...

For the Design time communications between the terminal and the workstation for use with METU...

To get the Ethernet connection sorted go to the Design (Local) tab, as mentioned before, and make sure the Ethernet driver is available under this tab. If for some reason it is not there or has been deleted, then you need to right-click on RSLinx Enterprise and "Add Driver", then "Ethernet".

With the driver visible under RSLinx Enterprise, Right-click it and go to Properties>Advanced tab. Here you should check "Listen on EtherNet/IP encapsulation ports" and go back and right-click the driver and select "Start Browsing". If your terminal is on the network, and you can PING it, then it "should" appear under the driver. If it does not, then you can manually add it by again right-clicking the driver and selecting "Add Device". Expand the "EtherNetIP Devices" tree and scroll down and expand the PanelView Plus 6 400 instance, and then select whichever firmware option is available or suitable. Click "OK" and then in the next window enter the IP address that the terminal is currently configured to use.

When you are back at the driver there should now be an instance of the terminal under the EtherNet driver. If it is not showing then right-click the driver and select "Stop Browsing" and then "Show All Devices". The terminal instance should then show up.

When you now use the ME Transfer Utility you can browse to the EtherNet driver and with the terminal live on the network it should be available as a path for transferring application files.

Do let me know how you intend to connect the running communications so I can assist you further on that aspect, if needs be.

Regards,
George