Looking for small inexpensive multidrop PLC

JimR

Text :
I'm designing a system that is controlling a number of motors distributed throughout a building. I have one panel controlling them all. I'm thinking of using an Automation Direct EZ-S6C-KS eztouch display which has rs485 and modbus capability. I was going to send control data to a DL06 that would control each motor (or in some cases frequency drives). I have very few inputs and outputs so the DL06 is overkill but it has the networking capability. Is there a better solution since all I have is a quadrature encoder and a relay turning on a motor in most cases? Thanks.

Ok so as far as capabilities are concerned the DL06 is overkill, but well suited for your application considering the costs...

I say go with the DL06.

Mike.

To beat the horse some more...

Where else can you get rs485, Modbus, a 5 khz counter, optional $50.oo display etc.. for less then $200.00???

Mike..

Thanks for the response. I think you're right I haven't found anything else. Sometimes I think it's a curse when you can design your own boards because I keep thinking maybe I should just design a circuit with an onboard micro that does these simple tasks ... But then I have right the Modbus software etc etc.

I first thought the DL05 might work but it doesnt have the RS485 built in, therefore it seems the DL06 is the best and least expensive option to use in a multidrop system. I think the important fact here is the RS485 fveature.

I looked at the DL05 and you can get a networking module for it but since the DL06 also comes with an auxiliary power supply I can use this to power my encoder and the DL06 solution is cheaper.

Last edited:
I have to vote for the D06. I have been messing around with one here at home for about a month and understrand why everyone seems to recommend them. I also got the little snap in display and can think of so many uses for it.

Bob

D0-06LCD...

bob1371 said:
I also got the little snap in display and can think of so many uses for it.

Have you investigated the capabilities of this little display yet, Bob?

It could have so many uses, but its limitations have me hard pressed to find ANY uses for it... :(

beerchug

-Eric

Eric
I just started messing with the display so I may have spoken a little early. I will keep working with it and see how it comes out.

Bob

Problem is with the display... cant change data with it...utoh

So you scroll to the data value you want to display, and use a few spare inputs to increment, or decremet etc.. data. Walla!! (y)

Last edited: