temperature sensitive output.

mordred

Well either I found some good glue, or the gremlin gods decided to play havok with one of our conveyer outputs.
To better describe my problem I have an output going to drive a hydaulic solenoid that runs a conveyer. The rooms insulation being poor is affected by outside temperatures.
In the morning we go to start the conveyer system on one conveyer section out of 5 the conveyer will not activate. So to handle production we run a seperate 120 volt feed to the solenoid. After about 15 minutes we then plug the original line to the conveyer. Somehow the problem consistently corrects itself. To make matters worse is that it will continue to run a 16 hour shift with start stops consistently with no further problem until the following morning.
Thus far I've tightened every single connection point, checked the PLC outputs checked the 2 solid state relays that are part of the strapmaster. The relays are the upstream, downstream relays that are in series with the PLC output. The worse part is that during our summer months this problem went away. However once our outside temp dropped to -4 the problem has returned. Thus far we have had almost identical symptoms every morning since then.
We also changed out the strapmaster no change.
The same room has 5 seperate conveyers all of which are identical in configuration. This problem only shows up on one of them and only one conveyer section out of 5.

Last edited:
All conncections other that the strapmaster are on terminal strips. Which I've gone through and tightened. Perhaps I should change out the terminals.

Last edited:
Have you changed the solenoid valve?

It sounds like the spool in the valve isn't shifting properly until it warms up. Maybe there's a little too much voltage drop in the PLC-controlled circuit.

What is the actual voltage level in the PLC circuit? If it's low, is there any way you could raise it?

Maybe just a good cleaning of the valve spool will take care of things.

I'll try both suggestions tomorrow I've been thinking along those lines its nice to have some confirmation though. Thanks for the input will let you know.