Balluff AOI IO Link

Amy_Fields

Hello,

I will be adding a Balluff BAW002F double blank detect sensor to a current process using a control logix processor and IO link module. My question is how would I add the AOI and what else would I need to to configure the IO link module?

Thanks

Hi Amy,

What is the catalog number for the Balluff IO Link Master (BNI...)?

Have you already got an EDS file or AOI for it?

Regards,
George

Have you an EDS file?...

There is an EDS file for the BNI004A IO Link Master which you can register in RSLogix 5000 or Logix Designer, whichever the case may be. This allows you to add a module instance for the IO Link Master under your intended Ethernet module in the existing ControlLogix project...

Catalog: BNI004A
Description: BNI EIP-502-105-Z015
Vendor: BALLUFF

Just in case you have not gotten that EDS file yet it is here, second from the bottom...

http://usa.balluff.com/software/EtherNet/

In your project go to Tools>EDS Hardware Installation Tool and browse to your download location for the new EDS file. Once that is registered successfully you can now attempt to add the IO Link Master module instance under the Ethernet module. When you open the New Module window you should now see, under "Module Type Vendor Filters" to the right, that BALLUFF has now been added. If you filter to BALLUFF only you should see your IO Link Master "BNI400A" is available to add.

Once the module is added there will be Module-Defined tags created...
AF_BALLUFF_IO_Link_Example_01.bmp

That should be enough to place the IO Link Master into your ControlLogix project.

Once you have gotten that far, or, if you are not actually modifying anything yet, but are happy with the above, then let me know and we can proceed to the AOI, if you still need help.

Regards,
George

Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated. I suppose I could have mentioned that this is being implemented into a current setup with 1 IO link master, and 2 slaves. I have a few spare ports on the master. I have imported the AOI however I am having trouble moving on to the next stage. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Amy_Fields said:
...I suppose I could have mentioned that this is being implemented into a current setup with 1 IO link master...

Yes, you could have!

Amy_Fields said:
...My question is how would I add the AOI and what else would I need to to configure the IO link module?...

I took this to mean you were adding everything from new, but not to worry. Hopefully the above still helps to clarify how the IO Link Master was added and where to look for its Module-Defined tags, if you were not sure.

But that does beg the question...

If the IO Link Master is existing in the project, then how is its I/O data currently being "handled", if the specific AOI for the BNI004A is not already in use? The AOI is not essential, it just saves you a lot of work moving data around.

If you connect your BAW002F sensor to an existing spare input on a Slave, or directly to a spare on the Master, then this should already be mapped back. The Master I/O data should already be fully available in the project's Controller tags. In other words, the sensor's signal should immediately be detectable in the Controller tags, somewhere. Somewhere, because we don't yet know the actual input to be used and the mapping all the way back to the Controller tags. The Controller tags, for this IO Link Master, may already be fully sorted (COPied or MOVed) into other tags, such as Program or Alias tags, for use within certain routines. This is the "handling" I was referring to earlier.

If a previous programmer has already handled the IO Link Master's data, in some way other than using the AOI, then you may have to consider this when implementing the AOI yourself. It could be messy or confusing having two different methods of handling the same data source just to implement one additional sensor. If you feel you must use the AOI then you may have to consider removing the existing method and then fully implementing the AOI method. This could be complicated and time consuming, again, just for the addition of a single sensor. Or, you could figure out how the IO Link Master's data is being handled at present and work within this current method to add your sensor. Perhaps this may be the simplest way to go? But I don't know enough about the current project to be really sure what will suit you best.

If you have some specific task you want, or think you need the AOI for, then please do explain as best you can. Again, you may not need it at all, if the data has been fully and properly handled for the entire IO Link Master into usable tags.

This type of AOI is of the type I like to refer to as a "MIP/MOP" AOI. That is, that it basically performs a Map Input and Map Output of the distributed I/O data coming in on a scanner i.e. the Ethernet module, in this case. It will pull in the input data from the Controller tags and automatically place it in an array that you assign. You can then use the array tags in your project. Likewise for the output data it will take your assigned output array, which is being manipulated in your project, and place it into the output Controller tags. The AOI will also handle the configuration data if you have a need to modify the IO Link Master's parameters in any way, such as "Port Function". It will also handle the diagnostics and error input data from the Master, should you need it. But to be clear - it does not perform any logical tasks for you. It just moves or maps I/O data. You must use the I/O data in your project as you see fit.

If you cannot understand how its setup at present then you could share the program, if possible, and I/We can have a look for you.

What are your thought on the above Amy?

Regards,
George