DeviceNet encoder replacement

NemanjaN

Hello!

I have a question about replacement of absolute encoder over DeviceNet. A vendor of new encoder is Hengstler.
I have some DIP switches on it, for configuration of MAC ID, baud rate and bus termination resistor.

manual: http://www.hengstler.de/gfx/file/shop/encoder/AC58/2565256_Technical_Manual_DeviceNet_ACURO_en.pdf

Is it enough just to set DIP switch positions to be the same like on old one, and to put encoder manually in the same (program) position like the old one? Or I need to do some deeper configuration?

Thanks a lot!

Is it enough just to set DIP switch positions to be the same like on old one, and to put encoder manually in the same (program) position like the old one? Or I need to do some deeper configuration?

Considerably deeper, unfortunately...
What device is the Hengstler encoder going to replace? A user manual might come in handy.

The current Rockwell Automation configuration tool for DeviceNet networks is RSNetworx for DeviceNet; DeviceNet Manager (used in the posted link manual example) has been discontinued some fifteen years ago.

You will need the current RSNetworx for DeviceNet configuration file for the network the encoder is located within.

You will need to identify the old encoder controller application "footprint" and programmatically "isolate" it., then:

1. Remove the old device from the Network Scanner Scanlist,
2. Physically remove the old device from the network..
3. Register the new device EDS file on the PC running RSNetworx.
4. Using the DIP switches setup the Baud Rate and Node Number.
5. Physically add the new device to the network making sure the Network Scanner is properly communicating with it.
6. Add the new device to the Network Scanner Scanlist.

Once the new encoder data is mapped within the controller memory, it will probably have to be "molded" in order to satisfy the application requirements.

Follow RSNetworx for DeviceNet Getting Results manual for details:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/dnet-gr001_-en-e.pdf

Thank you very much for response.

I have to replace the existing encoder with new one.

Do I need to apply the same procedure if the two encoders are the same (the same catalog number) and if they are different (not the same catalog number but the same type)?

If the two encoders are identical, is it enough to physically replace them, and adjust the DIP switches?

Thanks a lot!

If the encoders are identical (including Firmware Level!) then setting the DIP switches and physically replacing the device will suffice.

If the Firmware levels differ though, you will have to follow all six steps in order to perform a functional replacement; the network Scanner will need to be made aware of the characteristics and functionality of the newer firmware device.

I have never work with RSNetworx, and I have found that RsNetworks v11 is compatible with L32E controller v20.12. Is that correct?

I suppose that I can go online with that software and download configuration from scanner, and also check the encoder firmware?
Is there any easier way to check that?

Thanks a lot for your time.

I have never work with RSNetworx, and I have found that RsNetworks v11 is compatible with L32E controller v20.12. Is that correct?

I suppose that I can go online with that software and download configuration from scanner, and also check the encoder firmware?
Is there any easier way to check that?

That's the idea; RSNetworx Rev.11 will do no matter the controller type.

However, you will need to UPLOAD from the Scanner the current Scanlist configuration and verify the current encoder firmware level.

I understand.
I'm just reading manual that you give me about RSNetWorks, and I hope I will get a point.

Thank you once again.
All the best.

RsNetworks v11 is compatible with L32E controller v20.12.

Stick with these two software packages and the RSLinx Classic software that came with them.

RSNetworx and RSLinx Classic depend heavily on the Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) file registration and lookup function. This changed from being based on the Windows Registry (RSLinx 2.5x) to being based on an embedded SQL Server Express instance (RSLinx 3.x) in conjunction with the release of Studio 5000 v21.

Many users who upgraded Studio 5000 v21 and accepted the automatic upgrade of RSLinx Classic were dismayed to find that their RSNetworx v11 no longer functioned. An upgrade of that software to v21 was also required.

I'm emphasizing this because many users will reflexively upgrade some of their software if there's a feature that doesn't work or they don't understand, and in this case, that can make matters worse.

Thank you.
I have some problem with installation of RSNetWorx at the moment. I finished installation, and I can not open a program with the message: "Unable to open initialization file: RSNetWorxInit.xml".
Do you know what is the problem?

BR

I don't have that contract, but thanks for advice.
I installed RSNetWorks v25, and I don't have problem with Init file, I hope it will work.
Thank you for your answers guys, I appreciate it.

BR