RSLogix5000 Ethernet generic Module and DLR

Michal_dk

Hi Guys!

I'm setting up a small DLR test system at my desk, consisting of one CompactLogix PLC and one FC102 (Danfoss drive).

If I use the EDS file and set up the system as I normally would I have no problems.
But if I use the previous method wher a Generic Ethernet Module is used instead of the EDS file, I keep getting W34 (Fieldbus fault).

Does anyone know if the Generic Ethernet Module is capable of running DLR?

Does anyone know if the Generic Ethernet Module is capable of running DLR?

Michal,

The DLR (Device Level Ring) is an Ethernet network topology; it is dependent of the participating hardware type/configuration and the cabling routing.

A Generic Ethernet Module is a software configuration used by the Logix platforms when connecting an Ethernet Module to a appplication.

So, if your CompactLogix controller and the Danfoss VFD communications module have both two Ethernet ports they most likely are DLR compatible; connect your patchcords in a loop/ring starting and ending at the CompactLogix controller.

If any of the devices do not have two Ethernet ports then you will need to use a "tap" device such as the Allen-Bradley 1783-ETAP.

Here are a few useful links:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/enet-ap005_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um001_-en-p.pdf

The devices participating within a DLR network will need to be configured as such; the Generic Ethernet Module software configuration will work in any functional Ethernet network topology (Linear, Star, DLR, Redundant Star, etc.).

It looks like the modern MCA 121 Ethernet module for the FC102 is indeed capable of running a DLR ring.

http://danfoss.ipapercms.dk/Drives/...actsheets/OptionFactsheets/UK/EtherNetMCA121/

Those modules sound like they have their own add-on instruction and EDS-based Add On Profile.

It's possible that the older instructions provided by Danfoss that describe a Generic Ethernet Module do not provide the proper Configuration data assembly or Input and Output assemblies to run the modern MCA121.

A more general question is how you're connecting your computer to the system; if you don't have a 1786-ETAP, then your computer can't participate in the DLR and you'll have to be connected to the controller over USB.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the fast replys.

I'm using the latest and greatest firmware of the MCA121, and yes it does support DLR - we have several systems running this topology. And as I mentioned, when I'm using the EDS approach (the AOI is only for controlling the drive and is not really needed) I do not have any problems getting the ring up and running. It is only when I make the hardware Configuration using the Generic Module that I have problems.
So why not just go for the EDS approach? Well the end customer in this case wants to mix the Instances, having different numbers of input and output bytes - and I'm not sure this works with the EDS file (I'll be testing that today).

It is only when I make the hardware Configuration using the Generic Module that I have problems.

Unfortunately, one cannot tweak the Generic Module connection settings in order to satisfy some custom requirements. EGM is used for establishing communications between the device and the CPU controller; its configuration is manufacturer established and encoded within the EDS; any chosen EGM needs to carry the same settings as the EDS file.

After the VFD is successfully connected to the CompactLogix system, then you could edit the AOI and customize its functionality.