PLC Version Help

Ranimal

Hello,

Currently I am trying to upload some Allen Bradley PLC configurations using Studio 5000 (Updated all versions up to V30) however I am running into an issue trying to upload some PLC configurations that seem to be using RSLogix5000.

When using Studio 5000, I can see all the PLC/HMIs we have on our network however there are 5-6 PLCs that I can see however when I click to them, the "Upload" option is greyed out.

I have a laptop that was provided by the initial technician that did the programming for those PLCs however he was using RSLogix 5000. When using that PC, I am able to upload and connect to them but not on my PC with Studio 5000.

I went ahead and downloaded RSLogix V20.01 to see if I could use that to upload however it is still greyed out. Do I need to keep backtracking through the previous versions of RSLogix 5000 to find the correct version that will work, allowing me to upload and make changes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

You do need the correct version of Studio 5000 or RSLogix 5000 for each controller you want to maintain.

But you don't need to install each one to figure out if it will work: I think you simply need a detailed inventory of which version firmware is running on your controllers.

Go through your PLCs using RSLinx Classic and the "RSWho" browser.

Right-click on each controller, and select "Device Properties". The resulting window will show you information that includes the firmware revision.

An automated method would be to use the "System Ferret" utility, if you have a very large network or you want a bunch of details on the whole thing. It's available from the RA Knowledgebase.

You'll probably also want to post back the results and get some input on the v20.01/.03 and v21.01/.03 issues that came from the advent of digitally signed firmware.

Do I need to keep backtracking through the previous versions of RSLogix 5000 to find the correct version that will work, allowing me to upload and make changes?

If you are running Studio 5000 Revs. 21 through 30 and cannot connect to some controllers then they probably are Rev. 20 or lower and needing RSLogix 5000 for connectivity.

You could browse the network with RSLinx and acquire the devices' properties. Anything but Revs. 20 and 21 will let you know what Major revisions of RSL5K or Studio5K you need to install.

Now, the "split" revisions (RSL5K Rev.20 and Studio5K Rev. 21) are different since they are "Minor Revision dependent"; you cannot connect to a CPU running Rev.20.03 firmware with RSL5K at Rev.20.01 (This scenario is "solved" with RSL5K Rev.20.04 which will connect to any 20.xy CPU firmware).

Rev.21 is still problematic since you cannot install but one revision RSL5K on one PC. You could install RSL5K Rev. 20.00, 20.01, 20.02, 20.03 and 20.04 but Studio 5000 Rev.21 will support only one install and needs to match the Minor of the firmware.

If any of the CPUs are at Rev. 21 you will need to Uninstall the current version of Studio 5000 Rev.21 and install the one matching the CPU firmware Minor part.

nhatsen's link is basically what folks have been describing: you need the proper revision of RSLogix 5000 or FactoryTalk Studio 5000 Logic Designer (its formal name !) to upload from the controller.

But it echoes one other thing that's a common novice issue: be sure your path is pointing to the CPU, not just to the Ethernet module or daughtercard !

On a ControlLogix, you always have to "drill down" from the Ethernet module to the backplane and highlight the CPU before you can Upload or Download.

On the older CompactLogix (like the 1769-L32E and -L35E), you have to do so as well.

On the modern CompactLogix 5370 and 5480 and the modern 1756-L8x controllers that have Ethernet built into the CPU, the Ethernet module and CPU are the same endpoing, and you'll see them directly on the top-level Ethernet network browse.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just recently installed RSL5000 and Studio5000 on a new computer. They are different programs altogether, dependent on version. They are in completely different folders on your drive (both are in the Rockwell Software sub-folder). If you don't have the RSLOGIX 5000 folder, then you won't be able to open version 20 or lower. This folder is created when you install Studio 5000 Version 20 or lower, as it is the same software as what we all know as RSLogix 5000.

Also, they open with different icons. RSLogix 5000 has the familiar ladder with gears, while Studio 5000 looks like a blue and white marble with a gray ring.

Hope this helps

Last edited: