MSG Instruction Communication Path (5069 controllers)

phuz

I can't seem to figure out this path format for the new controllers, especially since there are two ethernet networks.
Does anyone know the format here? I'm specifically talking from a L306ER to a PLC5.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=51059

The above thread should help you out.

The controller that initiates the message instruction has the following path (separated by commas, no spaces):
1,S1,2,xxx.yyy.zzz.www,1,S2
Where:
1 is the backplane for the first chassis (the clx backplane always uses 1)
S1 is the slot of the 1756-ENBT in the first chassis (the first position on the left is 0, second 1,...)
2 is to go outside to the Ethernet (always 2)
xxx.yyy.zzz.www is the IP address of the 1756-ENBT in the second chassis
1 is the backplane for the second chassis (always 1 for clx)
S2 is the slot of the CLX in the second chassis (starting from left the first position is 0, second 1,...)
Example 1,3,2,192.168.1.4,1,0

Regards,

As these newer controllers provide an Enterprise (A1) port and a Device-level (A2) port as dual Ethernet ports, there are two specific paths which may be defined, depending on which you are sending a MSG out through...

Enterprise port (A1): Path = 3, IP address
Device-level port (A2): Path = 4, IP address

If the controller is configured for Linear/DLR mode, then the path is 2, IP address, regardless of which port is used. This is because both ports are now assigned the same IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

See here...

900835 - CompactLogix 5380 Dual-IP mode message path
Access Level: TechConnect

EDIT: This may also be useful...

900952 - CompactLogix 5380 Ethernet/IP Dual-IP and Linear mode change information

Regards,
George

Last edited:
As these newer controllers provide an Enterprise (A1) port and a Device-level (A2) port as dual Ethernet ports, there are two specific paths, depending on which you are sending a MSG out through...

Enterprise port (A1): Path = 3, IP address
Device-level port (A2): Path = 4, IP address

If the controller is configured for Linear/DLR mode, then the path is 2, IP address, regardless of which port is used. This is because both ports are now assigned the same IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

See here...

900835 - CompactLogix 5380 Dual-IP mode message path

Regards,
George

Thanks, this is what I needed! I could not find this in any of the docs I searched.

Is it possible to set two different IP address on these PLC's? I thought that the PLC just had the one IP address and the two ports were effectively a mini switch?

Ie. Is it possible to have one port for Ethernet RIO (not DLR obviously) with one IP address, and the second port for site wide SCADA network with another IP address? Without the possibility of the two networks "mixing" (cant see the IP side of things from the SCADA network).

Industrial Internet of Things, Industry 4.0, Big Data...

Oceansoul said:
Is it possible to set two different IP address on these PLC's? I thought that the PLC just had the one IP address and the two ports were effectively a mini switch?

Ie. Is it possible to have one port for Ethernet RIO (not DLR obviously) with one IP address, and the second port for site wide SCADA network with another IP address? Without the possibility of the two networks "mixing" (cant see the IP side of things from the SCADA network).

Short answer...yes.

You've probably heard and read the above terms many times over by now? I'm sure you have at least a vague understanding of what some of it is all about?

Long story short, as I don't have the time...

Dual Ethernet port devices, utilizing embedded switch technology, have been around for some time now. However, they have been somewhat restricted in their ability to act as anything other than a physical means of interconnecting industrial devices together within certain networking topologies, such as Linear or Device Level Ring (DLR).

With the advent of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), there is growing demand, and pressure on device resources, for the ability to mine and propagate data beyond the Industrial Automation Control Systems (IACS) network, and out to the "Enterprise" network in whatever shape or form it may be. It could be a SCADA or MES Server or a Server machine gathering statistical, historical or analytical data. It could be "mining and shining" the data so as to be served up to Corporate level on fancy faceplates so they can see where their profits and losses are, in real-time.

As a result of this increased data demand, these newer breed of embedded switch technology enabled devices are now IIoT ready and can serve their data up to both the IACS network and Enterprise networks while maintaining segregation of the two. While managed switches are still widely used in larger CPwE to propagate data, this new embedded feature will take a lot of the pressure of the Device-level ports, as the Enterprise port now has its own separate resources.

Rockwell Automation welcomes you to the world of "Dual-IP Mode", Oceansoul!...

853537 - Dual-IP Mode
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

EDIT: (HaHa - Contr_Conn...you stole my thunder!)

Eventhough this is an old post, it saved me today.

Could not find any Rockwell docs on how to use the newer 5380 Compactlogixs to a SLC 5/05.

Not all of us have a Tech Connect account.