SM2 add module to Compact Logix

Hi all,

I have a L24ER, working fine. Want to add a 1769-SM2 module. Installed, no worries, go online and can see it on the 1769 bus when I do a "module discover", however I cannot create it in the project until a "Profile is added" for the module.

The module does not show up on my available list of modules.

I can reflash the module with the control flash package/system.

From what I can tell, I need to import the AOP for this device. Try as I may, I cannot find it anywhere on Rockwell's site, only the reflashing app.

Anybody got any advice or experience here?

Thanks,
Graeme.

Thanks Ken,

I will follow this method.

Quickly looking at it, all seems to lend itself to VSD drive connections. I have purchased this module hoping to connect to generic modbus devices, similar to what you would do on channel 0 as RTU master on a MicroLogix 1400

Good luck

Thanks Ken,

I will follow this method.

Quickly looking at it, all seems to lend itself to VSD drive connections. I have purchased this module hoping to connect to generic modbus devices, similar to what you would do on channel 0 as RTU master on a MicroLogix 1400

Yes, this module does, indeed, connect to and allow for Modbus comms.
But, prepare for a long haul of manual reading and frustration.

The 1769-SM2 was built to connect CompactLogix and MicroLogix 1500 systems to A-B component-series drives, which use an RS485 network called "DSI" for "Drive Serial Interface", which is a superset of Modbus RTU.

The module can also communicate with general-purpose RS-485 Modbus RTU devices, but as noted it's a little more difficult to do so.

But that's what you've got now, so crack open the user manual and the end device manual and commence to engineering.

After battling this one for a few weeks, my primary recommendation is to carefully consider ELECTRICAL ISOLATION of your Modbus network, even though the books might not specifically recommend it.