Redlion G15 and barcode sensor

secs

Hi again all.

First off let me say how valuable all your ideas and help is. Even what you thonk is a small answer has helped me emensly.

Ok I have 142 shelves in an oven that runs at about 230 degrees celcius. I am trying to keep track of which self is at the opening. I was originaly looking at rfid but wasnt able to find units for that temp range. Then I simply thought of barcodes and getting them for that temp range seems possible.

So I am after a Barcode camera I can use with a Red Lion G15 panel thats hooked to a SLC5/05

Or I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks Peter

Is there an external shaft on the drive mechanism which could be coupled to an encoder?

I think an encoder and perhaps a home position sensor (one shelf gets a flag added) might be more straight forward. But I might be making an incorrect assumption...maybe those shelves are not fixed to the drive and can be reshuffled?

My first factory job was in a bakery with a big oven that had shelves and a big steel bar that would rake a fresh set of pans into it. I spent many long sweaty hours loading buns onto that thing and trying not to get pinched by the "rake". Your oven is probably completely different than what I am envisioning..

Yep thats our oven as you described. The encoder is a possibility and have been looking at that but barcode is a lot easier to mechanicaly implement.

See how we go

Where are the barcodes that you'll scan? Will you have to add those to each shelf?

Your signature is messing with me a bit, took me a second glance to realize 'The SECS Workshop' has nothing to do with a baking.

Thanks for the interest. Yes the barcodes will be added to each shelf. I can get ones that stand up to the temp.

Yes I work at a bakery and also run my own bussiness SECS :)

Peter

Are you trying to display the barcode image itself on your screen?
If so, you'll be limited to Red Lion's drivers. It looks like Banner, Cognex, and Datalogic/PPT would be your only options - which to my knowledge don't have anything to withstand those temps.

If you're looking into just getting the barcode data into the PLC and having the HMI reflect that, P+F has some high temp scanner units. Getting the data out of the scanner into the SLC will be the fun part!

If you can read the barcode through a window(To avoid exposing the scanner to direct heat) you'll get more flexibility in scanner choice probably.