Paying for Programming Software

Should You Have TO Pay For Programming Software?

• FREE, All the time!

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Small cost for CD's,$20 range

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Moderate Cost for CD's and Doc's, $200 +/-

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Mid-range, $500

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Let manufacturer charge whatever he wants

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Make Software Exclusive, and Expensive

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
they must support us, otherwise we wont use their products..for
example when I need support I'll call the rep, if ain't gonna help me out then..I will look for another brand that have reps in my area that will support me for "free" ...this is the least they can do for us...we (automation engineers,technicians,etc.) make their business running ..the way I see it they should pay us.

god bless.

Rick Densing said:
I only use free stuff, no matter how much it costs.

Man, that's deep... 🍺

Seriously, though, a student on a macaroni diet should be able to swing $200. How many hobbyists have come here for advice? Isn't it really the hardware that counts? The programming software is just a necessary evil. If all manufacturers followed the K.I.S.S. rule, support would be cheap and so would the software.

AK

Last edited:
Thats like taxing a tax. If you built the plc from scratch, like you can with a computer, that would be diferent. You are buying a working product, that can't work with out "options". Like buying a car, with out a engine.

just my thoughts

paul (in the third stall)

Not exactly what I expected, but then, I'm not surprised, either.

Rick does have an interesting view:

I have a tendency to lean towards "FREE" or "Starter Kit" packages.

I about choked 5 years ago when I went out for bids for Fanuc Cimplicity software to control an engine generator package, and do load sharing / shedding for a prison project in California. My exact words were "How Much?"

I choked on $3,800, I didn't hear the Rep correctly, he had actually said $38,000.

Oh Well, our tax dollars at work. To top it off, I had to buy Cimplicity Machine Edition to program the 9030's. Actually, I ordered two "Starter Kits". Never did see them, so no free extra programming cable or software package for casey. Rats!!!

maybe next year, and maybe not.

regards.....casey

Hey Paul, don't be a stranger.

If I had $$$, I'd come up for a visit. HINT HINT! Tell your boss you need your old state logic instructor to come up and teach something, be sure to tell him I need a retainer fee.

Let them charge what they like, it is a free market and if it is too expensive, they will soon find out.

Having said that, one option is to make it free if that is what they want.
I always think that good free PLC software, with a good built in simulator distributed free to universities and tech schools is a good marketing strategy.

Doug

I dont mind paying for the software...cause when I need help they will support me for "free" <------ :cool:

the product I am familiar with has a very nice rep in my area, he never let me think of using another brand and we buy tons of their product...and that makes us both winners..me and him.

just my opinion. :D

Last edited:
me too

I'm with Rick...

seriously tho, you should have put a don't know box on this and the support poll - I've decided to defer judgement until I have to start paying for it, not the company.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I vote with my purchase orders. I do as much business as I can with the guys that I think give me the best value, and as little as possible with the guys I think are over priced or underfeatured (or both).

Yesterday I'm told the "company standard" is changing, and salesman would be in today.

After the obligatory sales pitch (remember, already rammed down my throat) he says "I'll take you to lunch". I brought a very nice lunch, but decide to go anyway.

After an hour and a half of eating and listening to meaning less dribble, fe tells me how much the software is going to eat out of my budget. Then the waitress brings bill, he hands it to me, says he's pressed for time, and asks if I can find a ride back to the shop.

As I sat all afternoon wondering what happened, I get the worst case of indigestion ever.

I like GE and Automation Direct, and Entertron really looks interesting. But dealing with some of the others really bites.

So, take a guess who I am made at. Is it Allen Bradley? or Siemans?, or Mitsubishi?

Or all three???

paul

no longer in the third stall, as old (new) boss only has one.

And if you are in Monroe, WI, then you are just down the road from New Glarus, where the World's Largest Urinal is located!

When you buy a car, the manufacturers don't include a 'Snap-On' tool chest, and I'm of the opinion that the software is a tool (designed - usually - to make our lives a whole lot easier), so it makes sense to pay for it.
After all, there's always the hand-held programming consoles... ;)
...and you still had to pay for those!!!

Multi-PLC tool programming.

Preference by freeware, somewhat desired

I am going to opt for independent packages software
Multi-PLC for a group of PLCs.

You ally, if really the professional consider-itself important, a tool integrated to a group of PLCs, would persist a group of development this tool.

If the price of the software by the manufacturers was 'reasonable' then ofcourse people should pay for it.

However, if the objective is to have greater profit margins by inflated prices, there will always be copies.

When you buy a car, the manufacturers don't include a 'Snap-On' tool chest

When you bought your car, it had a computer in it.

You DID NOT have to go buy software to program that computer to make it run, did you?

That is the point here.

The more you pay for a product, the more features you expect. If you buy a basic product, you can always upgrade it with optional extras. Then another manufacturer comes along with a similar model, ofers some free options, throws in a rebate, or something.

There should be some uniformity accross the board. I have received messages from several people that have started using Moeller easy relays, becuase the software was built in.

I have heard from several people that they are looking into Entertron plc's seriously becuase the software is free, it has some good programming features such as off line programming with no plc needed to simulate operation, and several of the plc features such as heavy duty output ratings.

A couple of people went and got starter kits or tool box kits from a couple of manufacturers, do to the better price, basically free software.

A couple more now use AB ML1000's for $99 rather than smart relays, for equal or better flexability (and some name recognition).

As previously quoted from Rick...

It is not about getting what you pay for.

It appears that many are willing to pay a moderate cost for software. I guess, if I had to, I would too. But then, it is no like AutoCAD LT, where I would love to have the latest version, ut won't pay $888 or whatever it is. I can live with my old cad ,or pull out the board and draw.

PDavis: maybe a board schematic drawing contest with a couple of cheeseburgers on the line??? BTW, where did you eat to get indigestion?

Paulus - Autocad is a tool, a hand held programer is a tool, a laptop is a tool. Someware to program the plc is a neccessity, in my opinion.

I may be correct, and maybe not.

We can look at the poll, read the comments on this and the other threads. We are all allowed our personal thoughts, and can all make our own purchasing decisions.

Having been contacted by employees of a few plc manufacturers, I can say their thoughts vary gratly on this issue.

We have gotten many to think on the subject, so it has been sucessful.

Perhaps Tom said it best,
I vote with my purchase orders.

Let us all vote with our purchase orders, some manufactures will notice, some will not. If we pay a lot for our software, and get great value in return, then it is a bargain.

Best Wishes To All...casey