Seeking advice to automate counting of objects on pallets

Hoverer

Hello Everyone !!
Thanks for taking your time out to read the post.

Aim: To automate the counting process.

1. I have attached the example of a loaded pallet.
Presently, a counter comes and manually counts the number of rows and coulumns and updates the record using a Handheld device.

2. One option is to use Barcode readers and update.

3. The second option which I want to explore is --> Counting the number of cases on the pallet by measuring weight.
Are there any technology available in market to do this job (As far i searched, it is available for small parts inventory count).

4. Any other ideas to automate this counting process will be handy to complete my report for university.

Thanks đź“š

Pallet Example.jpg

How about to use 3D camera to calculate and measure 3 dimensions, and by knowing the produt spec you can count units. Or by using a laser measurement device to do the same.

You can do weight, but you'll need each case to weigh more(3-4x) than the error of any scale you might use.

You could investigate RFID tagging each case and using readers perhaps.

Hi widelto, Thanks for the reply,

The raw data from 3D cameras would be quite different for different products, is it possible to write a program and to compare all the various images and select the best one ?

Different products --> I mean approx around 3000 different products.
But each pallet contains only one type of product.

I would try using the barcode and count them when they are loaded on the pallet and maybe use a camera when loading the pallet, once they are shrink wrapped have a barcode generated with count and description then stick that to the pallet

Your best bet will be an automatic scale; it could be installed in-line as a separate section or under the loaded pallet handling conveyor; some scales could weigh moving product. Presuming the pallet weight constant and knowing the weight of one stacked unit it will be easy to generate a count.

Most of the major scales manufacturers (Mettler-Toledo, Hardy, etc.) provide major protocols communication interfaces and I believe Siemens carries S7 platform integrated ones (http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/sensor-s...ges/automatic-scales-for-single-weighing.aspx)

Last edited:
@ dmargenau,
perfect !! thanks, sent Siemens an e mail.

AB also has integrated Hardy Controller Modules for the Control Logix platform (1756-WS and 1756-2WS). However, I prefer a simple standalone Mettler-Toledo or Hardy scale controllers that interfaces across Ethernet/CIP. Much easier to set up and support vs the integrated modules.

@robertmee, is it possible to have an interface between these scales and warehouse management system ?
Are there any references available in web, I couldn't find any,
It would be of great help, if you could suggest some !!

Thanks

@robertmee, is it possible to have an interface between these scales and warehouse management system ?
Are there any references available in web, I couldn't find any,
It would be of great help, if you could suggest some !!

Thanks

Short answer - Yes.

Most of these scales can output the weight over ethernet,serial,etc.
Just need to figure out what the interface looks like from the WMS and spec the right scale bits.