Surge Protector and Control Panel UL508A

RRoc

I am using a Phoenix Contact Surge Protector. See data sheet attached. It's ULRecognized. My PLC Control Panel has to be UL508A. I'm pretty sure this part would be ok use if I am to UL my control panel.

The Engineering Company reviewing my Panel drawings is wanting confirmation that this part meets UL508 requirements.

Is this part ok for what I am doing?

Last edited:
UlL 508A documents list, in the back, all of the other UL listing numbers that are allowable. If the SPD is listed or recognized under one of those acceptable file numbers, then you can use it.

As a recognized component, you must "add it to your procedure" which entails investigating why it is only recognized and not listed. That is usually the result of it requiring something else as part of an assembly that you as the panel builder must demonstrate and document has been provided and properly applied. In the case of SPDs, I've found that usually means they must be fused with a very specific fuse.

If you are a UL508A shop, I'm a bit surprised that you would need to ask this question though. If you are not, why bother asking? You can't label the panel anyway.