Book about (industrial) communication

doomsword

I learned I need to learn about communication.

I need a recommendation on a good book on serial communication, and specifically, Ethernet (I don't even know if it's correct name :ROFLMAO:) communication.

I don't understand what I'm setting, and often I'm having problems with it. Same goes for people I'm supposed to support, most often issues are with communication.

I need to clarify what are ports, protocols, layers, channels, masks etc.

You can start with a simple google about 'serial communication' (RS232 or RS485) and about 'ethernet'.

When you know the basics about ethernet you can concentrate on 'industrial ethernet'.

Maybe 'industrial ethernet pdf phoenixcontact' can help you, but there also will be others.

sign up for cisco's netacad. It's free, at least in the USA and you can download a copy of a ethernet simulator called packet tracer.

If you really want to understand serial communications then I would recommend
"The C Programmers Guide to Serial Communications" by Campbell.

Even if you will never do anything in C, the reference coverage of serial is fantastic.

However, this is not a protocol book if that is what you are looking for.

I learned I need to learn about communication.

I need to clarify what are ports, protocols, layers, channels, masks etc.

This is covered in standaard ethernet, OSI-7-layer-protocol, TCP/IP, portforwarding, routers/swithes/hubs, IP-adressing, and subnetmasks.