Symax 400 PLC upgrade to controllogix 1756-L71

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
First question, is there any easy way to convert the symax logic onto the controllogix? I believe we have an old laptop that will connect to the symax, whether I can move the logic file off the laptop itself I can deal with, if the logic is transferable.

Secondly, for the replaced I/O, (160 input points, 80 output points, all 120v AC) is setting up a remote rack from an existing L71 via en2t realistic? There are no heavy computations or motion control, a few timers and such. Existing L71 has 14 I/O cards already, but does no heavy computing either, just some timers and counters.

Can't help you with the first question - never used Symax - but yes, a remote rack via an EN2T is how I'd be approaching the I/O. I can't give you part numbers off the top of my head either, because down here we don't use 120VAC, but your I/O count is within range of a remote rack (just). Assuming 16ch cards, you'll need 10 input cards and 5 output cards, plus the 1756-EN2T. So you'll have to get a 17 slot chassis (1756-A17) and a suitable power supply, and you'll end up with one spare slot.

Of course, if you could do 32ch cards you'd slim it down a lot more, but I don't imagine that you can get 32ch cards in 120VAC.

There are 120v 32 point cards (1756-IA32) available but only for input. Figured I can do the whole rack in a 13 slot chassis, with the en2t and I/O cards, will have a spare slot or two. I only have a 30" cabinet to put everything in, so the other option is to use two chassis' of 10 slots, but that means additional en2t, PSU, and chassis.

First question, is there any easy way to convert the symax logic onto the controllogix? I believe we have an old laptop that will connect to the symax, whether I can move the logic file off the laptop itself I can deal with, if the logic is transferable.

Secondly, for the replaced I/O, (160 input points, 80 output points, all 120v AC) is setting up a remote rack from an existing L71 via en2t realistic? There are no heavy computations or motion control, a few timers and such. Existing L71 has 14 I/O cards already, but does no heavy computing either, just some timers and counters.

no, your only option is to rewrite it manually. I can probably do this for pretty cheap if you are interested in contracting it out.

There are 120v 32 point cards (1756-IA32) available but only for input. Figured I can do the whole rack in a 13 slot chassis, with the en2t and I/O cards, will have a spare slot or two. I only have a 30" cabinet to put everything in, so the other option is to use two chassis' of 10 slots, but that means additional en2t, PSU, and chassis.

Ah, there you go! Well then, 5 input cards, 5 output cards, one EN2T and two spare slots in a 13 slot chassis. Looks like you're away!