Beginner looking for advise

Coach

Hello,

I am a hobbyist looking for an upgrade to my current equipment. At the moment I use a dedicated 4-in/8-out Serial I/O board with a home computer to control an animated display. The computer coordinates activities while playing a synchronized sound track. I have written the controlling software in Basic with rudimentary I/O commands. What I would like is to expand the system by having a programmable controller execute one of many preprogrammed I/O sequences selected by receiving a signal from the host computer. Is there an inexpensive system that would fill the bill? A minimum of 16-out and 4-in would get me started, but I would like the system to be expandable. I would also like the ability to add stepper motor driven displays at some point.

As a little background, I have years of experience as an electrician servicing older technology injection molding and gear cutting equipment. I was pretty good with ladder logic in an analog relay environment. NC/CNC was just coming into play when I left that industry and starting a second career developing business software.

Best regards, Harry

Many choices

Harry,
I suspect most of the major players in the PLC world would have something to fit your needs of I/O and cost. The first two that come to mind are Automation Direct and Allen-Bradley. The AB Compact Logix series is a very small and relatively inexpensive system as I am sure Automation Direct will have a comparable model. You can look at the Allen-Bradley stuff at www.AB.com and Automation Direct has a web site as well. Good luck!

Awwww, Mike. Why did you go and remove the customer #?

Now I can't order a few thousand dollars worth of stuff on your account... bawling

beerchug

-Eric

While these prices are pretty good I have been looking at used stuff on ebay. Seems like a lot of Allen-Bradley and Modicon equipment out there. Is either of these ssytems easy to work with?

Thanks again,
Harry

Ebay can offer some good deals, but bidding can be tiresome. Also be carefull when buying programming softare. You may end up with a copy of a cd, and no keycode or something like that.

Worth a look!

Harry, these guys are worth you looking into. I believe the owner of the company is even a member of this forum. I have used these PLCs and for what they are meant for, they are first rate.

Re: Worth a look!

randylud said:
Harry, these guys are worth you looking into. I believe the owner of the company is even a member of this forum. I have used these PLCs and for what they are meant for, they are first rate.

Hehe,
So Randy, is Stephen paying you a commision? ;)

Cha-ching!

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate you checking those puppies out. My commission is bound to go up as soon as Stephen sees the increase in activity and tracks it back to this thread. HEHEHEHE beerchug

Another option you could check out is Horner Products http://www.heapg.com , they were/are a 3rd party vendor for GE that now have their own line of PLC's. The main line is OCS which is a PLC and HMI all in one, they also offer RCS which doesnt have the HMI. The I/O are stackable on the unit and they also offer an option for remote I/O.

The software is free and programs both the PLC and HMI plus setup of DeviceNet if used. The units offer CAN networking which will allow any unit on the network to be programmed from a PC connected to the network or any plc on the network, the CsCAN (there CAN network) uses a separate connection so any device on the network with a serial port allows access to upload, download, debug or monitor any node on the network.

I think the Mini OCS/RCS line may offer what you need, this is the manual for them: http://www.heapg.com/OcsManuals/MiniOCS-RCS-OCX-RCX/MINI Hardware/m030504.pdf

I think if you go to entertron's site you will be impressed.

You can download the software, but will have to call in for the "key".

Tell Stephen that you are a student, what you need and are trying to do, and ask about a "student package".

Check "HERE" for students.

Be sure to tell him that "several" of us at plcs.net recommended entertron.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Hi,
I am tring to learn PID controller, Steeper motor Control, level and temperature controllers for LAdder/STL logic simatic S7. If any one can provide example for PID controller, Steeper motor Control, level and temperature controllers using PID . please give the code too. also some cascade controller
I need to program, if U Have or Knowledge an interface of this type simatic s7 programming pls send me stl or ladder loginc plz. Thanks
my e-mail is [email protected]