SLC 5/04 communication

anup44

(1)
unable to communicate with plc (slc 5/04 L542C )
plc show in rslinx classic with ab-df1 driver and dh485 with uic cable
but when i go for upload then comm breaks and show error o_O

error show- upload failed!
communication errors!

I delete harmony files but it not work

with same cable i am able to upload and download program in other plc (slc 5/04 L542c) with same chanel configuration

(2)
downgrade the version of rslogix 500 v9 to v8.10
same error o_O

rslogix 500 v9
rslinx classic v3.74
window7 32bit

New Picture (1).jpg

Last edited:
unable to communicate with plc (slc 5/04 L542C )
plc show in rslinx classic with ab-df1 driver and dh485 with uic cable
but when i go for upload then comm breaks and show error

Your picture shows the serial port (channel 0) configured for DF1 protocol.
The UIC will only work with a port configured for DH485.
You need a USB to serial adapter. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter.

See link for one option (USB to Serial adapter)

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-cp3-1756-cp3-slc-5-03-04-and-clx/

first i go with USB to Serial with 1474-CP3 cable on chan-0
then i try with uic cable

Not all USB to serial adapters are built the same so there is a chance that its your problem, have you ever been able to go on line with the PLC?

Forget the UIC unless you have configured the port for DH485 (and you have not)

Watch the 4th video down https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/ this is using a USB CP3 and connecting to the DB9

Thanks for the link Mickey

Easiest way to connect is to use a simple USB to Serial Converter along with a
DB9 Female to DB9 Female Null Modem Cable like a 1747-CP3.

I was just connecting to a SLC5/04 a few days ago.
USB to Serial Adapters that are known to work are Keyspan and Moxa to name a few.

The problem with USB to Serial adaptors is some have drivers that are well written and interface with the OS very well (and are maintained) and some come with drivers that are poor at best. What can happen is when communications are minimal the driver has time to properly deal with the packets but once you push it (I.E. try to download to your PLC) the bit error rate goes up and Linx’s becomes unhappy.

There are known USB to Serial converters that have a long record of being reliable. If you buy the known good ones then you wont have problems.

The problem with USB to Serial adaptors is some have drivers that are well written and interface with the OS very well (and are maintained) and some come with drivers that are poor at best. What can happen is when communications are minimal the driver has time to properly deal with the packets but once you push it (I.E. try to download to your PLC) the bit error rate goes up and Linx’s becomes unhappy.