How to Run Logic Code upon HMI Shutdown?

Twitch

Hi,

I need to intercept the Shutdown action in my Factory Talk 7.00 HMI using Studio5000 21.03 ladder logic, so that I can ensure all power is removed when the application is shut down. We've learned the hard way that humans can't be trusted to do this themselves so we need a fail-safe method. :)

The built-in HMI 'Shutdown' button object doesn't use any connections. Any ideas on how I can intercept the shutdown request, run some logic, and then complete the shutdown any time a shutdown is attempted?

Tim

Create a Macro to set a bit in your PLC and Use the Shutdown Macro in the Startup folder.

Here is an approach, but it requires two button presses.

Create a Goto Display button that opens a dedicated shutdown display. The PLC monitors for this display number to open, and when it detects this one, the PLC initiates the power-down logic. When complete, it can then make the actual Shutdown Button visible via animation. The user would then have to press it to fully shut down the HMI.

There could be another "Are you sure?" button on that shutdown display before initiating the PLC power down logic. This would add yet another button press, though.

A watchdog sounds like a good idea.
What bit can you monitor to detect loss of communication?

You could assign a tag to Second in Global Connections to monitor. You'll find it under the Date And Time Tab.

From the Help File.

Capture.jpg