PLC to control speed of brushless DC motor

nosajnil

Hi everyone.
I am planning to use PLC to control the speed of a brushless DC motor.
The DC motor already came with a motor controller and the speed can be controlled
through a potentiometer.
Is there a way to control a component with variable resistance to control the speed
of the motor? should I use analog or digital output from the PLC?
If there is a tutorial with wiring, sample program I would greatly appreciated!

1.jpg 2.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!
It would all depend on the controller you have. Some will accept analog inputs for speed control, some will not. You will have to do some research on what you have to know if remote speed control is possible.

Bubba.

A potentiometer is basically a device for creating a variable voltage, usually 0-5 or 0-10VDC. My first move would be to measure the range of voltage the potentiometer gives across it's range - if you find it to be within the figures I mentioned above, you can likely disconnect it and wire a 0-10V analog output in it's place to achieve a similar thing.

Of course, signal isolation or other little tricks might be required depending on the application, but it ought to be possible.

There is another option that I have used on occasion
MOP motor operated pot
contact closure to inc the pot and a contact closure to dec the pot
it give you real pot operation and provides complete isolation