OT: Studio 5000 and FTView Studio and Computer Screen Resolution

keshik

Lifetime Supporting Member
Off topic question:

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with how the Rockwell software works with higher desktop resolutions (greater than 1920x1080). Does it scale well to a 4k monitor? I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm wondering if the higher resolutions is worth the price premium and the reduced battery life.

Thanks in advance.

No experience specific to Studio 5000 and 4k but about a year ago I had a 4K laptop with "other" automation software that didn't scale well. It was a big PITA to deal with. Ended up keeping it at 1080 most of the time, which of course made things scale properly but blurry because of not running at the native resolution. Gave text a shadow affect.

I now have a Dell Precision 3520, 1080p (touch screen) resolution running on Windows 10, the screen looks fantastic considering it's 1080, much better than a 4k screen running at 1080p. I am also back into the world of AB, and Studio 5000 looks great (v30 for Win10). I don't see a need to bother with 4k on a laptop. I do have 25" 1440p secondary display that looks great as well. I'd do 4K on a larger external display 27"+.

Don't forget, 4k and HMI screen development could be a hassle too. I am happy with 1080p.

EDIT: Got confused on FTView Studio/Studio 5000 (Logix designer)

Last edited:
No experience specific to Studio 5000 and 4k but about a year ago I had a 4K laptop with "other" automation software that didn't scale well. It was a big PITA to deal with. Ended up keeping it at 1080 most of the time, which of course made things scale properly but blurry because of not running at the native resolution. Gave text a shadow affect.

I now have a Dell Precision 3520, 1080p (touch screen) resolution running on Windows 10, the screen looks fantastic considering it's 1080, much better than a 4k screen running at 1080p. I am also back into the world of AB, and Studio 5000 looks great (v30 for Win10). I don't see a need to bother with 4k on a laptop. I do have 25" 1440p secondary display that looks great as well. I'd do 4K on a larger external display 27"+.

Don't forget, 4k and HMI screen development could be a hassle too. I am happy with 1080p.

EDIT: Got confused on FTView Studio/Studio 5000 (Logix designer)

That sounds pretty similar to what I've heard before. At my previous employer one guy got a high resolution screen but ended up having to run it at 1080p anyways due to weirdness like you were saying. That was with Mitsubishi and Schneider software though so I wasn't sure how that related to Rockwell.

Thanks for the informative response.

I think 4k really only has value if you like "tiny" icons/text, running the display at 100% DPI scaling 4k will probably keep icons/text sharp and reduce the sizing of everything, providing more real-estate. I wouldn't mind running at 100% dpi scaling, but on this laptop icons/text are note sharp enough for that setting at 1080p. 125% dpi scaling is the recommended setting, text is crisp but slightly larger then I prefer, but only ever so slightly larger. I have not changed anything from the default settings so I can probably tweak some of it. YMMV on that one as it's preference.

I'd go to a store and look at these settings and decide if it even makes a difference to you.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with how the Rockwell software works with higher desktop resolutions (greater than 1920x1080). Does it scale well to a 4k monitor?
Not really. I bought a Dell XPS15 with 4k monitor some months ago and discovered that some applications had graphics problems (Studio 5000, CCW, among others). Solutions provided by Microsoft didn't help so I had to enable "external manifest use" on Windows register and write manifests for those applications. In the attached image, you can see the difference before aand after using an external manifest.

RSLinx, RSNetworx and DLR Tools have no problem.

Also I migrated from VMWare to VirtualBox to keep running my WinXP VM (and all the old RA software inside). VirtualBox is better prepared for high dpi monitors than VMWare.

S5k.jpg

I run (2) 4K monitors including my 4K laptop display in Windows 7 and haven't noticed any issues with Rockwell Software specifically. The only issue I had was with Excel; I had to disable hardware graphics acceleration in the Excel options because it was acting very slow.

I think 4k really only has value if you like "tiny" icons/text, running the display at 100% DPI scaling 4k will probably keep icons/text sharp and reduce the sizing of everything, providing more real-estate. I wouldn't mind running at 100% dpi scaling, but on this laptop icons/text are note sharp enough for that setting at 1080p. 125% dpi scaling is the recommended setting, text is crisp but slightly larger then I prefer, but only ever so slightly larger. I have not changed anything from the default settings so I can probably tweak some of it. YMMV on that one as it's preference.

I'd go to a store and look at these settings and decide if it even makes a difference to you.

Paully - this is a little off topic but something to stick in your mental database for the future. We found here that when different people have different DPI scalings on their computers it affects things when .mer files are shared with FactoryTalk View. For example, somebody with a 125% scaling makes what they think is font size 8 text. When somebody else restores that runtime and has 100% scaling they may find that the text is now magically at size 9 or size 10. More of the wonders of the integration that Rockwell has with Windows.

Not really. I bought a Dell XPS15 with 4k monitor some months ago and discovered that some applications had graphics problems (Studio 5000, CCW, among others). Solutions provided by Microsoft didn't help so I had to enable "external manifest use" on Windows register and write manifests for those applications. In the attached image, you can see the difference before aand after using an external manifest.

RSLinx, RSNetworx and DLR Tools have no problem.

Also I migrated from VMWare to VirtualBox to keep running my WinXP VM (and all the old RA software inside). VirtualBox is better prepared for high dpi monitors than VMWare.

Thanks for the response and image. That's a big difference in clarity in your two examples.

I think that I'm going to stay with the 1080p and enjoy the extra battery life and reduced weight.