Which one to use (data acquisition and transfer)

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

This is new territory for me. I have several systems located in diverse areas, throughout the U.S. . They are going to connected VPN to our company server. The systems collect at a 1-second sample rate, with hundreds of tags. I currently have a PLC connected to a RedLion G315C. I am not going to be streaming data, way to expensive, so I am looking at which would be the best option for our remote data collection and transfer, via our cellular connection. I have a little RedLion experience however, for the remote coms and all, over such a long distance, I have no experience. I am looking at all the "Services" the Crimson V3 has and am not sure what would be best for my application.

Our unit is using a cell phone connection to integrate the system in the field, with our company server. The built-in web server in Crimson doesn't work, as it moves data only one direction, besides, I am talking about a lot of data, hundreds of tags. I am using the built-in FTP server on my bench unit however, we will need to go to a historian for this and I am not sure whether I should use the SQL_synch feature on the RedLion, or the OPC Proxy. There are probably obvious reasons why one would work better than another, or reasons why one wont work altogether. I am learning all I can about this, to make a wise choice however, I really am "green" at this and at step 1. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks much.