Stupid Beijer, stupid IX Developer, stupid C#

BryanG

You can guess from the title that I am getting a little frustrated trying to use the stupid C# scripting in stupid Beijer IX Developer. Can anybody give me a start? At the moment I just want to read a variable from a controller and copy its value in to a variable. I have declared the variable as an Integer and tried various formats to copy the controller value to it but just end up with compile errors.

int dataReceived = 0;
dataReceived = Globals.Tags.Log_xmit_char.Value;

Hate is a strong word but I get very close when it comes to IX Developer, or IX Underdeveloped as I prefer to think of it. Log_xmit_char is as a Integer in the Tag List.

iX has some wonderful features. You can do the most advanced stuff with just a couple of clicks. And then there is the dark side, some of the most basic stuff is just to complicated to get working. This and a spell of hardware failures has made us look for a better product.

Back to your question, what specific errors are you getting?

Globals.Tags.Log_xmit_char.Value is of type "VariantValue" not int.

try...
dataReceived = Globals.Tags.Log_xmit_char.Value.Int

if it was a bool it would be...
Globals.Tags.Auto_InAutoBtnPress.Value.Bool

for arrays...
Globals.Tags.Parameters_All[x].Value.int etc

It does take some learning but the stuff you can do with it is basically unlimited as you have the full .net framework to work with (CF 3.5 on the CE panels). Don’t know of another platform as flexible to be honest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Attached shows the program and error. I was going to 'copy and paste' the error but stupid IX Developer doesn't have a 'copy' in the right click of the output window and the copy tool is greyed out. So instead I had to get a screen shot and post jpegs.

I just need to know how to start and then I am usually OK. If the manual or F1 help actually had any useful information it would be a lot easier.

I need HMIs that are tough and I am hoping that the new X2 Extreme will be good, however there are still so many holes in IX Developer that it is on the edge of being useful. Beijer promote the idea that you can make it do all things by using C#, I hear 'we couldn't be bothered doing the programming ourselves so you will have to do it yourself'.

In your searches for a different HMI let me know if you find something that is rugged and sun readable. Last time I looked Beijer were the only ones.

Program.JPG Compile Error.JPG

twocozz - I will give it a go, thank you.

Do I need to be looking in the C# manual for why the thing is a "VariantValue", or is it to do with Beijer linking in to C#. IX Developer has been out for 5 years, why isn't there some simple manual to help:mad::mad: Sorry, still in Rant mode.

I think it because where I have placed it. I think it needs to be in a container within the Public Partial Class. Just not sure how to do it.

I think if I had the script attached to say a button click on a screen then I would be OK, but this script need to be useable on five different screens and triggered by a signal from the PLC.

Did I mention that C# is stupid.

Hi Archie

It was the way I was using it, I have moved it in to a Button Click event and then it compiles OK. Doesn't help me in the end goal but relieves a little of the frustration right now.

I took a second look and now I think I see the problem. You are assigning dataReceived to in a class, but it needs to be in a function or subroutine.

...... Looks like you found the problem before I posted.

"VariantValue" is just a general class (I presume Beijer made) to represent an OPC Variant data type within their iX platform. It can hold any data type.

If you are writing a lot of c# I find it easiest to press the debug button and export it to Visual studio. For complete compatibility you need VS2005/2008 however it runs fine in VS2015. We usually write and test the code there (the simulation is really good) and then copy and paste the code back into iX when it all works. Some of our projects have many thousands of lines of c#.

It does take some learning but the stuff you can do with it is basically unlimited as you have the full .net framework to work with (CF 3.5 on the CE panels). Don’t know of another platform as flexible to be honest.
There isn't.
Nothing compares or comes close to the Beijer s/w features.

But if you buy an industrial PC and use some other HMI software.... many options.

Beijer promote the idea that you can make it do all things by using C#, I hear 'we couldn't be bothered doing the programming ourselves so you will have to do it yourself'.

In your searches for a different HMI let me know if you find something that is rugged and sun readable. Last time I looked Beijer were the only ones.

Proface. They are pretty much the opposite of Beijer when it comes to the s/w designer.
Proface has coded just about every, and any, feature into the product. I think I heard them say "We don't want to bother you with programming yourself so we will do it for you."

I don't know what you need for rugged and sun readable. Do you have a list of specs that you need?
Ex.
  • Shock/vibe
  • High and low temps
  • Antiglare, or high-bright

I don't know what you need for rugged and sun readable. Do you have a list of specs that you need?
Ex.
  • Shock/vibe
  • High and low temps
  • Antiglare, or high-bright
I dream of my customer being able to give me information about Shock and Vibration, even a rough idea on Temperature, apart from 'don't worry, it will be fine'.

The machines are mobile and built to be rugged, they have onboard diesel generators and the whole machine vibrates when the generator is under load. Just to add to the fun they transport the machines out to the work sites from the holding yard behind rather large tractors. Though they can't tell me much about temperatures I do know that the chemicals have a fairly narrow operating band. They might not worry about cooking or freezing the panel but they wouldn't want to damage thousands of pounds worth of chemical. I do know about 'Antiglare, or high-bright'. Antiglare isn't much use when you have to fit a screen protector to stop them getting glue all over it, so it has to be high-bright. Putting all of the above together was why I was looking at the Beijer Extreme HB. It is just a shame that IX Developer is such a pain.

I think it because where I have placed it. I think it needs to be in a container within the Public Partial Class. Just not sure how to do it.

I think if I had the script attached to say a button click on a screen then I would be OK, but this script need to be useable on five different screens and triggered by a signal from the PLC.

Did I mention that C# is stupid.

So you don't understand c# and Beijer is the problem? Your beef is with Microsoft pal.

No 'pal', my beef is with Beijer. If they had programmed the same facilities in to IX Developer as we had in Information Designer I wouldn't even have to look at programming in C#. If they had bothered to put some detail in to the Manual about how to use C# with the HMIs I wouldn't have had to start this thread. Even down to the fact that IX Developer isn't even WYSIWYG. I lay out text in the designer and it changes length when in the simulator or run in the HMI. Not just a small change in length. Having to create .xls files so that I can get a printout is horrible. The printout doesn't even work in the simulator.

Siemens introduced the S7-1200 in 2011 at about the same time as the first IX Developer, the PLC was very limited and the software crashed a lot. They have developed the PLC and the programming software over the years and despite some minor issues it is a cracking bit of kit. What have Beijer done with their software over the last 6 years? If I could find HMIs that were as good a Beijer I would have ditched them long ago.

Sorry, still in RANT mode.