how inputs and outputs are connected to plc

In our business, we use a single wire for both inputs and outputs. We connect one end to the input, and the other end to the output, and let them share the wire in between. This saves on lugs, and we end up using both ends of all of our wires. Too many businesses waste wire by only using the one end. Watch your polarities. Once we got a wire in backward, and it caused all of our inputs to develop vacuums, imploding the wire, and causing a minor black hole. We lost part of Chicago doing this. Luckily, it was South Chicago, so no one noticed.

In addition to inputs and outputs, we also use shotputs, which need bigger contacts, since they can really weigh down system resources. They are good for compacting code, though. Usually, we just declare them first, so they are on top when we put the printouts on our desks, compressing the rest of the program. This is called optimization.

We also have special connectors that we call "terminals." We call them this because there are so many of them in a normal project, we know we're going to die of old age before we get them all loop checked.

Then we have the P&ID checks that are going to be done so our PID loops work better. There's nothing worse than hooking up the wrong I to a PID and having it deregulate everything. This happened to the airlines back in the 1980's, and air travel just hasn't been the same since.

I'm glad I could be of assistance. ;)

We lost part of Chicago doing this. Luckily, it was South Chicago, so no one noticed.

You are correct. All my life I've been here, and I haven't even noticed. Until now.
Im gonna try and hook somethin up backwards tonight to make it all better again. ;)

Make sure all grounds are connected in a star shape. This star shape gives off enough illumination to assist you in trouble shooting in the cabinet. How to field dress a trouble is in another thread.

Make sure all grounds are properly shielded.

I recommend connecting the star to a Black Hole Diode (Digikey #217-BHD-XN4004 - where X equals the amperage to be consumed or the gravitational pull at the event horizon). Use of a Black Hole Diode prevents gliching on the ground leg and allows other legs to be pulled.

*NOTE* Be sure to fuse the BHD!! Remember the blackout of August 14, 2003 when approximately 70,000 MW were sucked away! Use of wire larger than #24 (like #28 or #30) is forbidden under some law.

After connecting all the wire thingies to the switches, sensors and such, and you first turn on the PLC, you may notice that the PLC is not doing exactly what you want it to do.

This would be a good time to program it.