ControlLogix IO Configuration modification

Oakley

I have a large controllogix program that I have discovered a small error in the I/O Configuration. The program functions correctly, but if it were audited we would have some explaining to do.

I have a parent CNB/D module that has a DHRIO/C module assigned to it. Assigned to this DHRIO module are 1771-ASB modules (total of 14 - 8 on Channel A and 6 on Channel B). Each of the ASB modules have the respective I/O module assigned to it. Now here is my problem. One of the ASB modules was created as a 1747-ASB rather than the actual 1771-ASB.

Is there a way to change this module without deleting all the I/O and then the module then creating everything back? This would cause a bunch of trouble to have to delete and create I/O.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

I just ran across a similar situation. I couldn't find a way to edit the module type. I needed to delete everything and build it up again.

However, this may not be as painful as you think. If you rebuild the I/O config the same way all the I/O structures in your controller tags will stay the same. The only thing you will see is that after you delete the original items you may get some tags and rungs that are invalid. When you rebuild the config you should be able to verify the progam and be on your way again.

Keith

You could try this, too. I've used it to change the revision number of IO cards, because they is also fixed once you've set it in the program.

Save your program as an .L5K file. Then, you can open it in notepad an change the IO card configuration. You'll want to look at a sample of each type of card, the 1771-ASB and 1774-ASB, to see if the configuration comments are different. Create a blank program with one of each and export that to an .L5K file.

Once you make the necessary changes, you should be able to import the .L5K file back into RSLogix. Save the program to a .ACD file and close RSLogix before you do any edits. Our machines tend to get a "fatal error" if we don't restart Logix after an import.

Unlike many file conversions (BMP to JPG, AutoCAD to other, etc.), I haven't found any problems or incidental changes caused by converting a program to .L5K and back again. So, file this trick away for future reference because it is a VERY cool way to autogenerate code, tags, and more. It has saved me tons of programming time.

AK

The answer for online edit is "NO"
I/O configuration can be changed offline only and only by deleting adapter and adding another one.
I was told that next version of RSL5K will have online edit of ControlNet I/O only - this does not apply to your RIO anyway...

L5K way is working, but not always. At least I am using it to downgrade processor version.

Last edited:
Configuration modification programmably

I am not sure if I need to start new thread or continue on this one.
We are interested in automating IO configuration change. As OEM we are making machines which have very similar but still different configuration. There are PowerFlex drives in the IO tree. Depending from the machine option these drives are different in respect of voltage and power.
As far as PLC program concerns since modules names are the same tags will be the same. But you still have to provide correct IO configuration, proper drive class and size otherwise processor won't accept program.
Now, for each machine we have to massage PLC program to create proper IO configuration. We delete module, which represents PowerFlex drive, and we add module with drive of required voltage and power. As soon as you delete drive, motion axises become unasigned, so you have to reasign them.
Is it possible somehow to automate this proccess? Some sort of button on HMI or maybe some VBA interface with RS Logix 5000. You select required voltage and horsepower of the machine and modules in IO tree become proper type and size drives.
Any thoughts?

PaulB.