USB serial adapter and Allen Bradley

patcassidy

I have a new compaq presario 700 laptop with NO legacy serial port.
I've bought a Belkin usb serial adapter FSU103. OS is Windows XP home edition.
I need to communicate with an Allen Bradley controllogix processor. It doesn't work for me. Should RSLogix 5000 work with XP? Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions or comments are very welcome!

You will need to make sure you have RSLinx 2.30 or higher and the latest version of RSLogix5000. It works now for my RSLogix500 since the latest release and I think 500 was the last to get updated for XP

RSLinx 2.30.01 or higher (that's an early 2002 release) and RSLogix 5000 version 11.01 are the *officially* supported releases for Windows XP. RSLogix 5000 version 8.02 was supposedly buggy under XP, but I had customers running Version 10 under Windows XP Professional with no trouble.

I think you're losing some capability with the Belkin interface that you typically have with a real RS-232 port; I've found that 3/4 of the USB/RS232 adapters I test do not allow me to use the "AutoConfigure" button in the DF1 Driver Configuration screen in RSLinx. You'll have to put in the correct Device Type (ControlLogix) and Error Checking (CRC), though the rest of the baud/parity/data settings are the same as ControlLogix default.

I doubt RSI will support the Belkin device under XP; all I've found is a technote that says it works, but fails Autoconfigure, under Windows 2000 Professional.

I have a Keyspan and an ATen converter here.... neither one does Autoconfigure correctly with Windows 2000 but both run fine when I manually enter the correct Device Type and Error Checking.

Please be aware that RSI states that for WindowsXP
use RSLinx 2.31 or higher.

Ken is correct that the auto-config does not function. However
when pre-setting the values, the connection will work.

I purchased a ubs-rs232 adapter at an electronics store for $15 and connected it to a null modem cable. Using rslinx 2.42 DF1 drivers, I was able to get online with a SLC500. (Running windows XP) The only problem was choosing the comm port...on my pc it was port 4. Older versions of RSLinx do not support USB, but the driver is a free download on AB's site.