AB SLC-5/04 Serial to Euchner EKS

markbutler

I have a SLC 5/04 that has to communicate with a Euchner EKS (Electronic Key System)thru the AB serial port. The Euchner serial protocol is 3964R. I've written a program in the slc using the ASCII read and write commands and it is working somewhat but not consistantly. After some research online I see there is more to it than simple ASCII reads and writes to communicate with a 3964R device. Has anyone ever done this before and if so is there a sample program available somewhere?

Thanks
Mark

Greetings Mark,

personally I'd never heard of 3964R before your post ... but a Google search (you've got to love Google) turned up this website:

ADONTEC

have you seen this one? ... there are some code samples right on the front page ... maybe this will help ...

good luck ... welcome to the forum ... wish I could be more help ...

mark,
it sounds like an impossible task to implement the Siemens 3964R protocol in the SLC5/04 by means of ladder code.
If you could it would be an achievement worth much praise.
Maybe the Euchner EKS uses a small subset of the protocol.

Its not much help to you now, but I think that pairing an AB PLC and a device that talks 3964R isnt a good idea !
The Euchner EKS is obviously aimed at a Siemens PLC as it can talk 3964R (with some options installed).

The Euchner EKS can also work with Profibus DP.
An option for you would be to get a Profibus DP card for the SLC500.