Pass-through SLC 5/03 to PV1000

Mark@GBW

Hi everyone. My plant's about to move some equipment to our sister plant and I've been asked to take some back-ups of the PLC and HMI programs. I have two machines that both have SLC 5/03 PLC's connected to PanelView 1000's by DH485. The SLC's are connected to Ethernet by 1761-NET-ENI modules, so I can get online with the PLC's remotely on my laptop but I don't have 1747-PIC lead to connect directly to the PV's. Can anyone tell me how to configure Panelbuilder and/or RSLinx to pass-through the PLC's so I can upload from the HMI's remotely?

Thanks

See PDFs for passthru setup.

I am not sure if using your 1761-NET -ENI will work, you may have to connect directly to the SLC's serial port. Hopefully others will clarify this.

Can you just use the Panelview shell to copy the internal app to an external card/usb stick? I'm guessing the screens are older so i'm not sure if they have any external storage ports

The Net-ENI's serial port runs only DF1 "Point-to-Point" so it ignores the destination node number in the DF1 packet. Pass-through drivers do not work with the standard Net-ENI EtherNet/IP to DF1 bridging feature.

It's possible you could use pass-through if you set up the Net-ENI's for "virtual serial port mode" and used the DF1 driver in RSLinx. That is not possible on the oldest ENI's and frankly I wouldn't want to fuss with their configuration if I didn't have to.

It's much easier to get an appropriate ATA Flash card reader/carrier (presuming the PanelViews are v3 or newer firmware, so less than about 15 years old) and use that to load applications onto them.

To expand on what BlueAltezza said. A memory card may be an option to get the panelviews program. See PDF

Edit:
Ken types faster then I do.

Thanks guys. The PV's don't have any USB ports, just the factory memory card port. Unfortunately I only have a week to do this, bit of an over-sight in the transfer process, so I don't have enough time to purchase any adaptors/readers. I do have a 1747-CP3 cable, so I'll give Mickey's idea a go tomorrow. Thanks again.

Unfortunately I'm no further on with this. I plugged in to the SLC's serial port (DF1-full duplex), went online and set status bit S34:5=1 and S34:6=0 then went offline to re-configure my DF1 driver to 1770-KF3/1747-KE. Now when browsing this driver I'm just picking up the PLC 32 times (nodes 0-31 all the SLC).
Comms isn't my strong suit, am I making some simple mistake here?