"Fun" math problem at Tech Ed

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm not at tech ed this year :)mad:) but a coworker shot me this math problem they are asking as part of the experience. Anyone wanna take a crack at it?

image1.jpg

just for curiosity sake, any chance you could outline your process? I was just trying to define things randomly and ended up confused.

just for curiosity sake, any chance you could outline your process? I was just trying to define things randomly and ended up confused.

LOL yeah sure

1. hold ruler to PC screen, measure known distance (10), come up with scaling factor.
2. Hold ruler to PC screen again, measure 3 sides of triangle, apply scaling factor, get side lengths.
3. head on over to http://www.mathopenref.com/heronsformula.html, plug in numbers.
4. post answer with zero explanation and revel in the fact that you're almost clever

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'

So, using AutoCAD dimensions (more accurate than a ruler against the screen, I would think) and plugging these numbers into the Heron's Formula calculator

FD = 8.9443
DE = 7.0711
EF = 3.1623

It says the area is 10.0002

I can believe that, plus now I have the formula!

Thanks for sharing that!

I also get 10 using AutoCAD.

The way to solve by hand is:
Define a new point X, which is the center (not centroid) of the semicircle, also the midpoint of AD.

Consider a quadrilateral XFCD. Angle XDC is 90, angle XFC is 90, therefore quadrilateral XFCD is symmetrical about the line XC. Angle CXD is atan(10/5), multiply that by 2 to get angle DXF.

From there, the area will be that larger sector (DXF) of the semicircle minus all the little parts, which is straightforward.