Best i/o for the buck?

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking for distributed i/o for an M340. Anything that talks modbus tcp.

All discrete i/o.

We are currently paying $7 per input, and $8.50 per output.

recommendations?

Opto22 Snapio. Modbus TCP and Ethernet/IP
You'd have to figure out price/pt once you figure out how many you need.
opto22.com

Automation Direct has some slice IO (probably made by either Wago or Beckhoff).
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Field_I-z-O/Protos_X_I-z-O

Automation Direct also has terminaotr IO.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Field_I-z-O/Terminator_I-z-O

Wago, Beckhoff, Pheonix, etc just a few that has them.

the automation direct link doubles the price per i/o point.

Check out Omron- super nice slice I/O for pennies. Not 100% sure about modbus, but it can probably do it.

Omron uses Ethernet IP not Modbus. In Oz the input block is about $60 for 16 inputs and the same for outputs. Then there is the coupler but it takes heaps of I/O.

If you manage to negotiate good discounts with Beckhoff, you would be nicely surprised. Even at their list prices, it is about $5.40 for a discrete input and $5.90 for a discrete output. This is for 16-point 24V PNP EL series terminals.

I agree with this. It is very hard to beat Beckhoff. The quality is good as well.

Have succesfully used weidmuller remote io. But think they are also made by another company as it looks exactly like GE remote io. Used a m340 with noe and ioscanning

Have you thought about using AD's Click just as I/O? Might be worth it for the $/point...
The 16-pt src/snk input card would be ~$3.06 per point (IO card only)
The 16-pt src -or- snk output card would be ~$2.81 per point (IO card only)
The cost of the cpu would increase the price per IO point somewhat - depending on your selected cpu.

The CLICK cpu supports 8 expansion modules MAX!