some help :confused:

Mary

Hi, is me again...
Well I started to read the sy/max manual class 8020 Type sfw374 sy/mate, and there is a part that i don't understand very well, it is about the rack addressing, is someone knows how to configure this part please explain it to me, because i don't have clear the purpose of the rack addressing...
Well thank you

Mary,

Schemes for addressing I/O vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. and from PLC to PLC. Its really hard to say without the manual.

However... The 1st couple, sometimes 3 digits of the I/O address often refers to the slot, then the second 2 digits often refer to the bit in that slot. Fore example 00104 would be the 4th bit in slot 1. or possabley the 5th bit in the second slot. Check your manual to be sure..

Hi again Mary
SFW 374 will programme a range of Symax controllers 100, 300, 500 and to a limited amount the 400
the requirements for rack addressing is different for each range. The 100 range does not require rack addressing. (I do not think you are replacing this range as I do not think that it has space for 300+ rungs)
To help we would require to know processor controller 100,300,400,500 ? Physical number of I/O cards, any remote racks (away from the main control panel or just another rack in the same panel that does not have the controller on that back plain) any analogue inputs or outputs.
Like Martin T my notes are back at the office
Jim.

HI,
It is a model 400, and I only have the program, I don't know how many cards of I/O has, the worst thing is that the program doesn't have labbels it only has the numbers of the contacts and coils. I saw the rack addressing and it has the slot number(1-16), and each one has the last address and the first address, Do I have to assign this address in a phisical way? I mean that if a need to see the plc and then I know what register I am going to put in each slot: The principal problem is that I don't know how to assign the addresses, I know that the plc has 32 register but I don't know if each register is a slot or what?
Please help me.
thank you

Model 400 Sy/max

Try this link.

Model 400 Processor Manual

Oops! I see it is the same manual as the link above but broken down in chapter size pdf's. Maybe it will be easier to download.

Last edited:
note to anyone trying to help Mary with this project:

it would be a good idea to take a look at this previous thread to keep everything in context ...

and if I’m reading all of this (both threads) correctly, then Mary has an existing SyMax program consisting of 329 rungs of ladder logic programming ... but she has NO documentation (labels, comments, etc.) with the existing program ... and she’s trying to convert the existing SyMax program to run on a Quantum PLC ...

finally ... she admits that she's "new" to PLCs ...

Last edited:
All Symax Class 8020 processors (Models 100, 300, 400, 500, 600, and 700) are able to be programmed with the same software.

All optional rack addressing is done using the same basic methods. To correctly determine which method is required you need to know which type of rack (i.e. 8030HRK100 or 8030RRK300) you are working with. The Symax family addresses all variables with a register number (from 1 to 4000 in the M400). When used as I/O and internal coils a bit number (from 1 to 16) is added to the register number, like 1-1 or 356-16.

The HRK type of rack is comprised primarily of digital I/O slots (the ones to the right of the divider) and 2 to 4 register slots (the ones to the left of the divider). The RRK racks are comprised entirely of register slots. Rack addressing is accomplished by assigning 1 or more registers to a particular slot in a particular rack. The register assignment must be sequential with no gaps. Any registers not assigned to real world I/O may be used as internals (i.e. holding registers, counters, timers etc.)

So a M400 processor installed in an 8030HRK200 rack with (4) eight point digital cards, (2) six point digital cards, and (1) 4 channel analog card might have rack addressing that looks like this, where slot 1 (immediately to the left of the divider) holds the processor and is direct connected to the digital slots (to the right of the divider) and slot 2 (to the left of the processor) holds the analog card. This assigns reg 1 & 2 to the digital input cards, reg 3 to the output cards, reg 4 to the unused digital slots, reg 5-8 to the analog, and reg 9-4000 as internals.

Rack 1
Begining Register 1 5 ---
Ending Register 4 8 ---
Card ID
Slot 1 2 3

Now if we did the same thing with an 8030RRK200 rack and 16 point digital cards, the addressing would be:

Rack 1
Begining Register --- 1 2 3 4 5 ---
Ending Register --- 1 2 3 4 8 ---
Card ID
Slot 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

This basic idea carries over to any remote I/O racks. Notice how it makes no difference what the cards actually are or even if a card is installed. Symax rack addressing simply tells the processor where to look for information concerning the bit pattern of a register.

Mary,

If all you have is a print out of the program with no labels, you are going to need to see the pysical I/O's at the machine, or a drawing of where everything is going.

It will be impossible(in my mind) to figure out the ladder logic without seeing what your I/O's are, try to take a look at the equipment and get any documentation you can.

I recently quoted an upgrade for our SY/MAX 500 which controls a 700 ton press and cut the I/O count by 3/4, drop a lot of ins and outs because of not using indicator lights and going with a touch screen. Every other quote is using the full I/O count, bosses won't let the maint. guy do it though.

Ron, realized she's new to PLC's, posted on the other thread. Haven't hade time to review my stuff at work, now I realize it a 400, haven't dealt with them just trying to steer her in the right direction.

Jim, this is just off the top of my head, I read a little of the pdf for the 400, I see the addresses can be the same if you replace a 500 processor with a 400. But isn't the I/O addressing different between the processors?? 500 uses 1-460 at the processor and up to 2000 something else where? and the 300 uses the same type(s1-S4) with -1thru -16 attached?

Correct me where I'm wrong, I always learn better from my mistakes and I don't won't to lead anyone the wrong way, It's been a year or so since I have dwelled in the SY/MAX family(been that long since my quote to upgrade).

Last edited:
Hard wire diagram??

Mary, I dont know much of anything about the two PLCs your into right now, but a few suggestions anyway...

Do you have the full documention of the machine that the PLC is running? The hardwire print is very important. Likely it will have the I/O listed on it, and assist you with understanding the program and the old PLC layout etc...

Go and survey the machine. There may have been undocumented addiitions or alterations that you knowing about would be critical to a succussful changeover. Take a good digital camera and a clean legal pad and make lots of notes.

I feel for you; your in a tough spot. Somebody must have a lot of confidence in your abilities.....Good luck with it..

Mike.

Marty,

The rack addressing basics are the same, the actual register count varies with each processor and the register location changes with the rack. Most instruction books for the Model 300 show examples with "direct connected" digital I/O. If the Model 300 was intalled in a RRK type rack it would look like the 400 examples and if the 400 was installed in an HRK type it would look like the 300.

well for my bad luck I don't have access to the equipment, it is in other place, in that case I think that I need to talk to my boss and ask him for the plc's wired, he doesn't have time and he is not helping me, this is so stressing banghead
anyway thank you,
I forgot to ask about quantom:
the addresses are like this:
0x- digital input
1x- digital output
3x- analog input
4x- analog output or data

I need this too, for the translation

Mary
The Numbers in this format are modicon numbers
0x- digital outputs
1x- digital inputs