575 Volt ABB HVAC VFDs

Ajdonally

The Canadian newguy again eh? :)

I had heard last year that ABB was coming out with a 575V HVAC VFD. This was going to be used instead of the ACS600 which is their industrial product.

I can't find any info on it....I've looked at their website but there isn't anything on it.

Happy Halloween!

Aj:yingyang:

I checked my factory materials and couldn't find any reference to an ACH550 rated 575-600V. That would be the HVAC drive.

The replacement for the ACS600 is the ACS800. It is available in 600V ratings as the 600 was.

Drive

Dick, I know "brand" favoring isn't a good thing on this site, but I do really have to vouche for the ABB drives. I have integrated about 14 of the ACS-800's in our plant and around 16 or so of the ACS-550's. I love them, end of story. The only complaint I have is that the ethernet module is currently around the $1,000 range. I heard in a month or two, that price is going to come down.

I really like the built in macro's, and use the "pump/fan" macro, and PID macros quite frequently. The only thing with the 550's is you don't get DTC. :-(

You recommended the 800's to me about a year and a half ago, for some pumping applications I had. My local rep., (Scott) was/is very knowledgeable. It was at a time when we were frustrated with another drive manufacturer and were receiving lousy support....the ABB's were refreshing.

Greg

Well, thanks for telling me that, Greg. I've been associated with ABB for about 10 years now and have become very trusting of their performance.

Understand, I don't think they do everything with superiority. My familiarity has helped me to use their strong features and avoid their thin spots, and that helps.

I also am an instructor for NTT (National Technology Transfer) in their variable speed systems program. There, I have to use drives of other manufacturers and, as you can expect, some things are being done better and some, not so good.

But, at least in my home territory of Michigan, I try very hard to provide superior technical support. That's why I am one of relatively few drive salesmen that are also certified startup techs. Makes me accountable to the customer that way and that's how I prefer it.

Neat....My salesperson/tech. is trying to get me into an ABB class in order to have me certified for startups on drives I integrate. I guess this way I get an extra 2 years of warranty? It's a day class from what I understand.....What topics are covered?

Also, the Ethernet module.....I know very little about it, other than it's still expensive.....Does it work in conjunction with software, or does it have built in webserver functionality? Can I view data only, or can I control over Ethernet? (not that I'd want to)

Thanks Dick,

Greg

Last edited:
I did a two day ABB course when we first installed the drives and it basically covered replacing the hardware and using "Drive Windows" the software package for the drives.

We paid extra for a profibus connection, but are yet to use it. I believe you can change parameters from your control system. Ours would be plugged into our DCS.

I was told the aim was to be able to download parameters from the DCS instead of tech using a laptop when the CPU card was replaced but I believe you have to a motor test first to obtain drive details using Drive Windows so I cannot see how this would work, unless because its the same motor it doesnt matter.

Like I said, I did a 2 day course and havent had to go near them since so an ABB expert would be able to tell you more.

Parameters can be changed thru the keypad, thru a laptop running Drive Windows, and thru the fieldbus connection.

If you are starting up a new drive with DTC or have replaced the regulator board, you need to re-enter all Group 99 data. That would be motor data, macro selection, language, and re-run the motor ID sequence. That is also true if you download parameters from the keypad EPROM.

The keypad download will not re-enter the fieldbus settings either. In ABB's view, Group 99 and the fieldbus data is so critical to safe operation that a deliberate effort is needed to re-enter these items.