MicroLogix PWM function

Houdini

I am looking to utilize the PWM function of the 1766-L32BXB. I am actually looking to get a 5V PWM out of the controller but I was told that the PWM only uses 24VDC for its output. Is this true?

Does anyone know how I can get a 0-5VDC PWM pulse train out of a micrologix controller? I guess that would just be like a TTL signal with PWM.

Thanks!
🍺

Outputs 2, 3, and 4 on a 1766-L32BXB controller have the fast FET output circuitry on them that can be used with PWM or PTO functions.

But the FETs are designed for 24V nominal voltage input. The listed range is -15% / +10 %, so basically 20.4 to 26.4 volts.

I've never tried to run it at 5V DC. It certainly is unlikely to hurt anything, but it's not designed to work at a voltage that low.

The VDC2 power input terminal on the 1766-L32BXB controller provides the source voltage for Outputs 2 through 7. If you connected only 5V to it, you would not be able to use any of those for conventional 24V output functions.

You may be able to use an interposing solid state relay/transistor setup to step your 24V PWM signal down to 5V.

Vdc2

Yea, not sure about the 5VDC on the output. I don't like the idea of having to give up 6 outputs to do this. I didn't know the common was attached to that many output channels.

I can try the solid state interposing relay idea. I need to check to see if the SSR will switch at 100Hz. I assume I can just do a voltage divider to get down to my 5VDC instead.