Connecting PC to MPI interface

Rietvelder

Hello guys,

I'm new on board and have a question about setting up a connection between PC and PLC s7-300 CPU314. I know it's an RS232/RS485 connector and I sure know were to buy it but can I make it myself? What's special on this adapter? Are there diagrams to make my own adapter? I Searched the whole web but found nothing.

Thanx in advance.

Rietvelder

No, you can't make your own MPI adapter. Siemens guards that information very closely. You must purchase the adapter from Siemens, or one of the 3rd party adapters available. Be very careful with the cables, also, the MPI cable that connects the CPU to the adapter is NOT an RS232 cable. The pin-out is different, plus it carries 24vdc from the CPU to power the adapter. If you use a standard serial cable, the life-span of your adapter will be less than a second. Well I can vouch for that on a USB adapter, not sure how the old serial adapter would hold up.